• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case overheating?

JnJ

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't sure if this belonged here or OEM tech, since it is modified, I guess it goes here.
Background, 4.0, AW4, NP231 with AA SYE. Just installed waggy axles with 4.88s, rear welded, front Lockright.

Ok, I've been driving this thing around breaking in the gears, and checking for any bugs in the LA suspenion I built. I noticed some sounds that I thought might be coming from the t-case. After every trip I would climb under it and look for problems. Yesterday while under there I happened to grab the front DS and it was very hot, I was running in 2WD it was very hot at t-case end, cooler at axle end, checked the rear DS and found the same thing. So I check the fluid level, and it was a little low so I added some fluid and drove it again today, it was the same (hot).
So, anyone have a clue why it is so hot? I dont think this is normal.

Thanks,

My 98's 231 used to get hot to the touch after a trip down to my relatives in NJ, about 67 mi one way. I drained the case an put in Mobil-1 atf and tested it with the touchy feely test, it was quite a bit cooler. Been running it ever since even though I get some seepage out of the rear seal which kinda keeps that area lubricated and somewhat rust proof :D

I think it's normal, I've noticed mine gets pretty hot. The t-case is connected to the trans, and the trans to the motor, so there is cunductive heat from the motor and trans if nothing else. These t-cases don't carry much fluid, so it's always good to make sure the fluid level is good. If it's not making any noise, you should be OK.

JnJ,
I agree with Goatman. I find that mine is that way as well. I have been watching mine ever since I noticed mine was running hot. And that was 2 years ago. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. But I do also agree with Richard about the fluid level, they don't carry much so it is very important to keep it up to snuff. Hey Pard, how do you like the rear now that you have welded it??? I did mine, but have not had it out as of yet...... We miss ya Dude!

Casper

Also, the front DS runs really close to the exhaust manifold/header. Makes me kind of wonder about the condition of my Ujoints.

Casper said:
JnJ,
I agree with Goatman. I find that mine is that way as well. I have been watching mine ever since I noticed mine was running hot. And that was 2 years ago. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. But I do also agree with Richard about the fluid level, they don't carry much so it is very important to keep it up to snuff. Hey Pard, how do you like the rear now that you have welded it??? I did mine, but have not had it out as of yet...... We miss ya Dude!

Casper

Cool thanks. Ya, you can tell it is welded, but it really isnt that bad. It's not noisy like the lunch box lockers I have ran. I'm waiting to take it out in the rain and see how it does. It's not a daily driver anymore, so I had no problem trying it.

Back