• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a new(er) XJ, got advice?

fourwhldrv

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I had asked this before, but I did a search and could not find the thread, so...

I'm currently running 90 XJ and she has a bit over 100K on her, but too many years of beach running & other salt water exposure has turned her into a somewhat of a rust bucket.

With very little extra time on my hands to strip her down and cut out her extensive cancers--not to mention the engine rebuild looming large in my near future--I have been looking at newer XJs.

I have a RE 4.5" lift which is virtually brand new that I would like to swap over, as well as Tomken bumpers front and rear and my Garvin rack.

1) Will I have problems swapping the lift and/or bumpers to any newer model XJs? Are there more problems with driveline vibrations in certain years?

2) A minor issue...Will the rack mount change? Are the gutters on the newer models as strong? Is this even an issue at all?

3) BUT most importantly, are there any newer models that I should give preference to OR that I should avoid?

Consumer reports listed the '00 and '01 as "less than average reliability"...of course we know that complainers make noise and happy owners usually remain silent thus skewing these kinds of surveys, but what do ya'll say?

So, other than keeping my old XJ (obviously)...what new(er) XJs should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,
DJ

Personly myself if I where to be buying another newer xj I would get a 99 w/o ABS. That year seems to have the best of everything . HP 30, new style exaust that is slightly less prone to cracks, the the old style casting heads that are stronger than the 00/01,s. As far as all your aftermarkets should all bolt on. The bumpers might not match to the lines exactly, but there thing that can be done to make them.

Last edited:
scoobyxj said:
Personly myself if I where to be buying another newer xj I would get a 99 w/o ABS. That year seems to have the best of everything . HP 30, new style exaust that is slightly less prone to cracks, the the old style casting heads that are stronger than the 00/01,s. As far as all your aftermarkets should all bolt on. The bumpers might not match to the lines exactly, but there thing that can be done to make them.

I can confirm that.

Thanks for the comments.

I recently found a post on the forum that shows a company that finally manufactures floorpans for the XJ...I'm very stoked about that. It makes the repairs more of a "cut-it-out, plug-it-in & weld" arrangement.

Now if I could only find the time to build me a stroker...my guess is that I will have to wait for the Spring.

I'm still looking for a good driver that might be a swap candidate. If anyone has any more suggestions, they are welcome.

Thanks.

DJ

Back