• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Survey of reliablity on newer '97 + XJ's please

Dave in ABQ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone! I haven’t been in the forums for some time. Good to see that many of the old time guys like Eagle, Woody, and Matthew Currie are still here.

I still use my old ’92 XJ for family camping, and a romp around town once in a while, but I’ve been reluctant to put too many more miles on her for fear of repairs. LOL.

Anyways, my ’92 has 157,000 miles and has been a great truck. I bought her back when she had “only” 83,000 miles on her. I’ve been contemplating buying a ’98 or ’99 XJ as a replacement, but I’ve leery of all the Chrysler parts on them. Windows that don’t work, gauges that act up, airbags that go “poof” (so I’ve read), seatbelts that unbuckle (ditto).

My question is this. How many of you with ’97-99’s have had these or other problems with the Chrysler quota of parts on their newer XJ’s. I’m also a bit concerned that Chrysler may have cheapened larger formally great parts like the internals of the AW4, or their cylinder heads (read that some have issues). My ’92 has been great, but my guts tell me that it’s days of solid reliability are getting numbered only because of her age. I need something that is solid and reliable for daily driving that I don’t have to throw money at all the time. PLEASE Advice me as to your opinions on the newer models.

There are only two problems I can think of on the newer XJ's.
1. The cluster and C101 connector need cleaning and reseating in order for the dash not to cut out: it's not that big of a deal, just takes about an hour to do both (tops).
2. Fuel pump stops holding pressure. It seems that the damn check valve in teh fuel pump is a cheap POS and after a while your jeep will take longer to start as fuel will drain from the injectors back into the tank. Depending on your year you might get luck and get to have that replaced under a recall (IIRC it's 97 and 98). Anyways, I had that done on my 98 and all was good, then I got a 97 which had that done, but it just started acting up again on it.

Airbags go poof? I've never heard of that happening on a 97+XJ. Never had my seatbelt unbuckle on itself and I've put my jeeps through their paces. Before I rolled the 98, it had over 150K on the clock (had it since new). Now my 97, I've bought with about 110K on it, and not it has nearly 140K (can't really say as I've played musical chairs with the clusters and PCM's and it no longer shows it's true/original mileage.

I have a 99 with 130,000 on the clock, only thing that I have had to do to it is 2 waterpumps. Factory w/p at 45 to 50,000 miles (developed a hole thru the pump houseing itself) and one just a month ago.(bearrings)
OH..... and a oil pressure sender just before the last waterpump.

Dave in ABQ said:
airbags that go “poof” (so I’ve read)
They had a recall to fix that. The airbag controller was under the driver seat, great place since that doesn't get wet :rolleyes:, so they moved it somewhere else.

drifto77 said:
and a oil pressure sender
Ditto that.

My fuel pump died too, but I think that was my fault. Something that bugs the hell out of me and isn't my fault are the leaks into the cab. I have the famous passenger footwell leak and the cubbyhole swimming pool leak. The fit and finish of my 97 is terrible for all the door trim. I rode in my friend's 99 and it looks a lot better.

Dont give that old 92 the nickle and dimer name just yet, 160k is just getting warmed up I have a friend that had a 94 with over 480k on her never did anything to it (other that normal whare and tare). The only reason he got rid of it was 'cause he needed a pickup.

Ditto on keeping the 92. If it has been reasonably cared for, you can expect a lot more miles from it. I would think that if you took half the money you were going to invest in a newer vehicle and put it into your current ride, you would come out ahead in the long run.
BSD

My better half has a 98 sport, NP231, AW4 Chry 8.25 with about 220,000 miles on it. Between her and her children, the jeep never stays home long, and is constantly on long road trips. SO FAR, I am amazed that with at least 3 different drivers, its been very well behaved. I cringe at how its driven btw, so this isnt some old granny driving this thing. It is also a rust belt jeep, and since I am so far away, it does not get regular preventive maintenance done to it. I would consider this jeep as abused as possible for a stock, daily driver. Issues I have repaired on it have been...

Strange engine stumble after warm up (closed loop mode) at around 2000 to 2500 rpm, particularly under light load. This was with about 130, 000 on the odometer. You had to pat the accel pedal to keep it from stumbling and bucking. If you did nothing and kept your foot on the accel pedal like normal, it would backfire through the throttle body. Above and below that RPM it was fine. Ended up being the upstream o2 sensor. Replaced both 02 sensors and did a cat back exhaust replacement at the same time. The cat was showing signs of failure and the muffler was about rotted out.

Problem two was most recent....220,000 on the odometer. Horrible screeching noise in the engine compartment right at startup, along with the smell of something burning. Told her not to drive it at all until I could have a look. Turned out the AC bearing failed, and the pulley was under enough stress to cause the pulley to rub on the electrical coil pack that engages the AC clutch. The smell was the pulley rubbing the coil housing underneath it. It got so hot, it was melting the potting material that encases the coil, hence the smell. Replaced that, along with all of the other rotating parts that I have been waiting and expecting to fail at any time...water pump was original, alternator was original, idler pulley/adjuster was original, fan clutch was original, harmonic balancer was original....replaced it all along with a radiator and new hoses and belt. Did the radiator because i consider it a wear item anyway. You dont have to look far for overheating issues on this forum. The water pump was still fine when i took it off which amazed me. The water pump pipe that the heater hose hooks to was another story...it was in horrible shape and all rotten looking. I dug out a great suggestion from 5-90 and replaced it with a 5 inch, 3/8 brass nipple, a brass 90, and a 3 inch brass nipple. I went one further and put a brass hose barb that screwed on the end of the nipple. If I were to do it again, I would have made the 3 inch nipple a 4 inch one and it would end up perfect and not interfere with the #1 spark plug wire.

I have put two sets of unit hubs on it. The first "cheap" set at about 130,000, and the second set (NAPA) just recently, about 210,000. What amazes me are that the ball joints are still fine as well as the tie rod ends. No odd wear on the tires and it tracks true. Things that I expected to fail a long time ago are still going strong. The U-joints are all original. Amazing.

A testament to the AW4 is that its never had the fluid changed in it and it certainly needs to have it done. I am however afraid to touch it because its so high mileage. Ive had a couple transmission shops tell me that its probably better to leave it alone at this point. So I am waiting for it to go out. Its not slipping and still pulling strong. The fluid no longer is red, but a brown color...sigh. Change your tranny fluid often when you get it.

The engine sounds like it needs overhauled. WIth 220k on it, I expect that though. I can hear some rod knock in it. I think I may get a junkyard one and rebuild it and have it on standby...same with the AW4.

NP231 has been bulletproof so far and the kids certainly test it out on a regular basis.

As far as worrying about reliability of the 98, I would recommend one easily seeing how this one is holding up. Do regular maintenance, and drive reasonable, and you wont have any issues.

Dave

Mine's not a 99 but it's a 00. I've also owned an 88 and the 88 seemed like a better rig.

I bought my 88 with 110K and had it til about 160K before I sold it. All I did to it was one hub bearing, waterpump, cat and exhaust, egr valve, and alternator. It also had an occasional high idle but not very often.

I put 10K on my 00 which now has 81K. So far I've replaced balljoints and it sounds like the wheel hubs might need new bearings. Also the front speakers didn't work because the wiring was so tight that it broke where the door closes. I'm just waiting for something else to go out next. It also has that annoying t-case linkage rattle and a weird resonance from the exhaust. Nothing big but still annoying.

I went and bought a newer one because I figured they would have made them more reliable. I'm pretty disappointed.

Kejtar said:
Did you torque the stub shaft nut to spec? if you don't, you will kill the unibearing.

I didn't, the tech working on my car hopefully did. Check out the hub bearing/balljoint thread help needed thread that I started yesterday here on the OEM board.

Mine is a 2000 at 43,000 miles and had no major problems with it so far. Only thing that has been replaced is the cruise contol relay last summer. Also it went in for its recall back in 2002 for the 4.0L manifold shield. Other than that it has been very reliable.
Alex

My '99 has some minor power window quirks--sometimes the other window switches work, sometimes not. But they all have always worked from the driver's seat. The only other problem is the hatch latch. I can adjust it every week and it still sounds like it isn't catching all the way. No biggie.

My 2000XJ Bought May 2002 w/32K now has 98K
  • Frt driveshaft vibes - rebuilt cardan joint
    O2 sensor
    battery
    waterpump
    L/F window regulator
    L/F hub bearing
    and normal PM items

I hope I don't jinx myself saying it's been a remarkably reliable vehicle.
Tom

Last edited:
I have a 99".
Things that broke are:
Drivers window regulator.
A/C evaperator coil. Expensive if you pay someone or be prepared to invest a full 8 hour day to fix.
It currently has just under 100,000 miles.

97, 125K

Exhaust manifold crack~50,000- replaced before I bought it(80K)

Rear Main~55,000- " may be leaking again

hubs, ujoints are long due for replacement.

front pass brakes/rotors have always worn fast (since new)

cruise control light hasn't worked in 50,000mi, cruise still works, just not the light.

other than that I love the beast and plan to keep it until It's a rusted out pile on cinder blocks in the front yard.

Hello Guys! Thank you for all your great replies. I remember now what makes this forum on of the best on the net. THE PEOPLE!!

Seems like the newer XJ's are overall still the great truck that the old ones were, with the exception of all of Chyrsler's improvements! :laugh3: My XJ, has had 1 water pump, 1 radiator, 1 rear main seal fix, motor mounts, TPS, and now needs the front end rebuilt, new joints for the front DS, plus a couple of small misc interier items. Best Damd vechical ever built! Long live the XJ!

Like I said earlier, my XJ has 157,000. It has had a Rusty's 5.5" lift for about four years, with shocks having been repaced once. If I keep her, I'll need to do something about the loose steering, and buckboard ride I have. When I first planned on lifting, I wanted only 4.5", but Rusty's fron springs were too long and so I got the rears longer and......... Wish I has stuck with 3-4.5" The angle of my control arms, plus the tall front springs make this less then ideal for dailydriving (IMHO). If I keep her, I'll bring her down to about 4", have to chage out the front bearings, ujoints, tierods, and maybe a few other things. Some of these will have to be done at a shop. Oh the agony of not knowing the future!! :)

my 00 with 90,000 miles is doing fine. had to replace tcase chain and that is about it. I do a lot of preventative maintanence, but other than the tcase chain, and a future rear main replacement, it has been a great vehichle. it has never left me stranded or stuck on any trail or highway yet. knock on wood.

Don't get rid of the 92, its not even broke in yet. Two friends of mine each have 88's, one has 310K on it (never done anything but regular maintinance) The other one has 310K and he had to change a starter once (since new).
Thats the reason I own a XJ, they seem to be bullit proof.

Back