• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont start!!!

GTIguy02

NAXJA Forum User
92' 4.0L auto.

Its been starting fine for the all of 300 miles I've owned it. I installed shackles in the rear which jarred things in the rear around quite a bit. I also just put a new exhaust on and had the dealer do the shift interlock cable recall. (maybe this info will help?)

Anyway, I was driving down the road and it shut off after I came to a stop (about 3 starts away from the dealer). tried to start back up, ran for about 2 seconds and shut off. Pushed it into a parking lot, it cranked over and would idle, tried to drive it and it died after a few seconds. Still have electrical power but it wont turn over. Towed it home, did some tests and found that I had no spark.

I just replaced the CPS, no help. If I use a test light, I get power to the wires going to the coil until the fuel pump stops running, then nothing. I tested the power at the block with the two wires on it on the drivers side fender also. Same thing, turn on ignition, light stays on till the fuel pump stops running then light goes out. Try to crank it, test light still stays out. I took the coil out and the ohm meter reads correct.

I'm new to electrical gremlins and any help would be greatly appreciated!

i'm not sure if 92's had them, but my wagoneer limited (1987) has something called a "fuel pump ballast resistor". it's a small ceramic thing mounted on the drivers side inner engine compartment. two orange wires should be connected to it.

maybe one of your wires slipped off of it on a heavy bump? you can eliminate that ballast resistor by splicing the wires together.

I think thats what I tested. It has power at both ends when I turn the ignition on for about 2-3 seconds while the fuel pump pressurizes. Then nothing. I'm assuming that I would only have power on one side if the resistor wasn't working. Correct me if I'm wrong

Bypassed the resistor and that didn't work. I also did a fuel pressure test and I"m getting between 35 and 40psi. Does the 92' XJ have a rollover or enertia switch of somekind that would cut power/spark?

Back