• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did they stop using the vacumm for the front axle.

i think it was 91.. but why would you be concerned with that? aside from maybe a vaccum supply problem i see no down-side to a disconnect axle for regular day-to-day use and even regular wheeling. it's generally swapped out when rigs "go big" but although it "looks" weaker i havent seen any evidence that it's weaker. actually think it may be a lil stronger. i am not a fan of moving parts and sub-systems so i converted my YJ to a 1-piece shaft since there are no larger 297X shafts made for a disco axle (that i'm aware of).

it's an incerdibly simple mechanism and i see no reason to "fear" it .

Disco was used with the NP231 though 1991. It shouldn't be a concern, there are plenty of other things to look at first with any 15 year old vehicle.

(Before you say "15 years?" just remember that the '06 models are out in '05...)

Honestly this thing runs better than my moms 96 grand lets just say her trannys gonna be gettin replaced soon. Weve taken care of it but dont know what kinda maintance the previous owner gave it.

Back