• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor in burnt jeep any good?

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
I think I asked this before, but now I have almost enough money to afford it. There's a burnt 01 Grand Cherokee at a local junkyard, it is burnt from the back forward, but the engine looks ok. The fire did get to the engine compartment, burning off the PCV hoses, and melting the battery, but the paint is still good on the valve cover. Question is, should I worry about head/block (I'm not using the head any ways) warpage or anything of that nature, most of the electronics are also destroyed, but I plan on converting the motor over to a stroker anyway.

I can't think of any reason why the head and block wouldn't be good. It would have to have been an intensely hot fire to warp either of those, and that definitely would have burned off the paint on the valve cover.

If the price is right and you are planning on doing some work to it, I would get it. Especially since you said the paint wasn't burnt on the valve cover. Checking the rest of the engine for bubbled paint and discolored metal might give you a clue as to how much heat the engine may have been exposed to. Definitely check to see if the engine turns over. I don't remember what size socket is need for the harmonic balancer bolt. If it is siezed I would pass on it, unless you are planning a complete rebuild.

chris

should be a 3/4" socket. you'll want a 1/2" drive breaker bar or ratchet and a pipe to get some good leverage probably. sounds like a good steal if its low milage and cheap...good luck!

if you get it do yourself a favor and replace the gaskets you can get to including the rear main while its out.

Sometimes in a fire they get dmg'd but the motor should be relatively sound.

I can post a picture of the jeep on my web page in a few hours, but, another indication that the engine was not exposed to much heat is that the rest of the jeep is burnt to the point that the metal has colapsed, but the fenders and hood still have paint on them. Looks like it was a gastank fire. This jeep has sat in the yard for a year, and they still want $1000 for the engine, in 2 weeks time when I get my next pay I'm planning to offer up to $700 for it. I will check if it is seized and inspect for discoloration. Thnaks for the help guys, I'll let you know when the picture is up. Unfortunatly I didn't get a picture of the engine, but seeing the jeep may help. I plan to do a complete rebuilt in the image of Dr Dyno's "From junker to stroker" although I'm not going to get the engine boared if I can help it, machine shops have died out around here, and I would have to travel a ways to get to a shop.

From the pic it doesn't look too bad. Check it out and get itif you can.

I just some of the rust repairs you did! Man am I glad I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore!! Looks good and solid!!

chris

thanks for the compliment, I wish I didn't have to do any of the rust repairs I did either, that's what I get for living on the east coast. The welding was my friend's handy work, he is a good welder and has helped me alot.

Back