• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky Distributor

mdwatkins

NAXJA Forum User
Just did a search and found the post about a squeaky distributor. I think I've got this problem on my 99. Last week I did a tune on it and the squeak came out of no where. It sounds as if it's coming from the high right side of the engine right in the distributor area.

My question is everything that came up in that post was out of an early model...anyone heard of this on a late model? It's a 99 sport that has just turned 100K on the clock. I've also just replaced the idler/tensioner at the same time. I've even put the old cap and rotor back on to see if it was the new parts.

Matt

Either borrow a mechanic's stethoscope or use a length of rubber hose and try to localize the noise. That might make the problem easier to diagnose and troubleshoot.

I'd suspect the squeak to be coming from either the distributor bushing or an alternator bearing. You might be able to determine which, by listening to the frequency of the squeek. An alternator bearing will be a 'faster' timed squeak; the distributor squeak will sound 'slower' because of the slower speed of the distributor shaft.

If it's in the distributor, you can remove it, dress up the bushing, lube and re-install. The distributor gear has to be removed to do this, however.

Back