• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans problems

mailwagonman

NAXJA Forum User
I have aqquired a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4 auto that only has 28000 miles on it. I has been sitting since 1994 when it was left at my uncles body shop. The collision wasn't that bad(fenders ,grille, and hood). My uncle fixed it and it has sat behind his shop unpaid for ever since. I talked him out of it a couple of months ago. The interior is shot, but after a fuel tank and pump swap it runs like new. The problem is that the trans will only manual shift and only has 1st and drive. Any suggestions on things to try that might fix this problem. I hate to spend the money on a rebuild when I know it doesn't need it.??

mailwagonman said:
I have aqquired a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4 auto that only has 28000 miles on it. I has been sitting since 1994 when it was left at my uncles body shop. The collision wasn't that bad(fenders ,grille, and hood). My uncle fixed it and it has sat behind his shop unpaid for ever since. I talked him out of it a couple of months ago. The interior is shot, but after a fuel tank and pump swap it runs like new. The problem is that the trans will only manual shift and only has 1st and drive. Any suggestions on things to try that might fix this problem. I hate to spend the money on a rebuild when I know it doesn't need it.??
Start by looking at the fuse for the TCU, that transmission it electronic control, if you dont know. The computer that controls is is under the dash on the passenger side. Unpluging the TCU and manual shifting you should have 1-2-3 speeds. Also add a can of SeaFoam Transcure.

Back