• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still legal right?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've hacked off my bumper from the vertical nerfs to the outside of the truck on both sides (90 XJ crome bumper), this still should be legal, right? I've still got the center section...

I believe the answer depends on your specific state requirements. In my state (if I understand what you've done) it would not be legal.

Kent

Most states have width, size, and height requirements. Ive seen lists on the legality of lift amounts but no lists on bumper dimensions. If your state requires inspections then its probably not legal.

Zoro said:
I've hacked off my bumper from the vertical nerfs to the outside of the truck on both sides (90 XJ crome bumper), this still should be legal, right? I've still got the center section...

The FRONT bumper may be legal with such a trim. The rear wouldn't be... at least not without mud flaps. They'd nail you for THAT... because the splash angle will be too high without the bumper.

PA is a stickler about that crap. Remember, it's illegal to have a radar detector on the dashboard, stickers on the windows, or a hat on the rear shelf, for VISIBILITY reasons. (Rarely enforced... but in the code!)

Den

DenLip said:
The FRONT bumper may be legal with such a trim. The rear wouldn't be... at least not without mud flaps. They'd nail you for THAT... because the splash angle will be too high without the bumper.

PA is a stickler about that crap. Remember, it's illegal to have a radar detector on the dashboard, stickers on the windows, or a hat on the rear shelf, for VISIBILITY reasons. (Rarely enforced... but in the code!)

Den
Rust holes and sharp edges also. They have a law for everything "IF" they want to use it.

DenLip said:
Den

crap, really? I have 3 placed in area's I can't see in any of my mirrors and one of them is behind my spare tire so even turning around I can't see them. I really wish I knew about silly laws like this.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/410135608/410141758FpoPLV

MoochsXJ said:
crap, really? I have 3 placed in area's I can't see in any of my mirrors and one of them is behind my spare tire so even turning around I can't see them. I really wish I knew about silly laws like this.

I have a few, too... but it is, technically, illegal. Get a trooper on a bad day, and you may be in trouble. Like you, all of my stickers are in areas where I couldn't see anyways...

Den

Man, do I feel for people that live in states with laws that CAN be abused instead of just being a "safety" issue- kind like failing an emissions test on your ride, getting a statement of repair greater than "X" amount, and now being "exempt" from future inspections, what a load of .....
Here in KY, you can tint your rear window at the very back with black paint for what most of the cops care, since tint laws are for the most part, lax, BUT, as has been stated, IF the cop is having a bad day... watch out.

Littlewhitexj said:
^^ Do they have different laws for box vans that dont even have rear windows? That sucks.... I like Michigan much better now.
If it came blind from the factory and legally sold in your state, then it would be legal.

Consider a semi towing a trailer. All he has for rear visibility are his two rear mirrors and they are legal in any state.

I modified a stock YJ front bumper, adding Chevy S-10 headlights down low -- about the same height as any car. The factory headlights were just too high and people wouldn't stop flicking me off ;). Somehow, someway, I have a feeling this is going to be an "illegal" mod here in PA... even though it's helping other motorists.

I got my '98 XJ inspected a few weeks ago and was told that my fog lights were illegal -- they're aftermarket rectangular Hellas placed in front of the grille, mounted to the bumper. Basically, the exact same location that Jeep stuck fog lights on older XJs, Grand Cherokees, and full-size Waggies. Mine are illegal, the factory isn't, even though they look and function identically. I don't get it.

PA even has a maximum candlepower that headlights aren't to exceed! 150,000, I think it is. What are they gonna do, measure it? I'd surely fail, haha...

Why whould sharp edges be a bad thing? If somebody gets backed over by me the're gonna be hurtin either way. I asked a mechanic today and he said that in PA all they require is addequete crash protection at 5mph.

Zoro said:
I asked a mechanic today and he said that in PA all they require is addequete crash protection at 5mph.

Haha, so how would they test that? "OK, give us the keys and we're going to run your truck into that brick wall over there to see if it'll pass the crash protection test."

Littlewhitexj said:
^^ Do they have different laws for box vans that dont even have rear windows? That sucks.... I like Michigan much better now.

PA is Phun.

A Chevy 15-passenger van is registered as a car. $35/yr for a plate, etc.

A Chevy panel van is a truck. $64(?)/yr for plate, etc... It has different legal requirements (such as side mirrors on the passenger side).

A pickup can be registered as a Class 1 (6400 GVWR or less), regardless of the weight capacity of the truck. That Dodge 3500 diesel dually can be registered as a Class-1. But if you get caught with a Class 1 truck that's "overloaded" (over 6400), you're in a world of hurt. With that 3500, you'd probably be "overloaded" with a passenger and a dog...

So you buy-up to a Class-2 sticker ($90-ish/yr) on your shiny new Chevy 1500, just-in-case.

Until a few years ago, ANY non-factory window tinting on the windshield or front-side windows was illegal. Tires cannot stick out beyond the flares. Lifted trucks are always scrutinized for splash angle... hence a need for mudflaps.

And, of course, mandatory yearly safety inspections and emissions inspections.

The guys across the line in Ohio just shake their heads in disbelief.

Then again, WE shake OUR heads in disbelief at the sort of trash that's still legal to drive in Ohio! :)

Den

iroc86 said:

Easy now, it's not nice to talk about my heep like that. I live in SC and they couldn't care less about your vehicles condition.

20050904203054_Picture%20016e.jpg

Wheels stick out past the flares in the rear and did in the front until I got tired of getting mud in my windows. (no comments on the ugly YJ flares please, lol)

No mudflaps, rear bumper or lower rear quarter panels. Hitch sticking way out enough to be terribly dangerous.

Been driving like this for well over a year now, never been questioned. Id get a rear bumper but I'm too poor to afford one. Someone want to donate?

WobblesXJ said:
I live in SC and they couldn't care less about your vehicles condition.

Is that a broken taillight I see, too? Haha! Man, if someone up here tried driving a vehicle like your XJ, I'm almost certain the police officer would make them have it towed home from the pull-over -- not to mention tons and tons of fines. It's astounding how laws can be so different from state to state.

DenLip said:
Then again, WE shake OUR heads in disbelief at the sort of trash that's still legal to drive in Ohio! :)

Den

Theres still plenty of trash in the hills of PA that the cops havent picked up yet. Lot of rustbuckets up there waiting to cause accidents on the roads.

dakotus said:
Theres still plenty of trash in the hills of PA that the cops havent picked up yet. Lot of rustbuckets up there waiting to cause accidents on the roads.
Yeah but OH's worse.

Back