• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt squeals with A/C

Lisk98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause my belt to slip when i turn on my A/C, all of the smooth pulleys (fan, idler, water pump) have been replaced. the belt is newish(3 months) too... could it be a crappy belt? A/C compresser need oil or something?

HELP!

Thanks!

Belt tension - you most likely need to tighten the belt a little bit - I always do mine by feel, which is NOT the correct way - you are supposed to set it to a specific tension using a belt tension gauge, but I don't have one. Hope this helps

Tighten the belt.

Mine does it and I wanna say my belt is tight as hell.. Its been doin it since it was brand new. Its also a good year gator back. Maybe its not that tight for a cherokee but tighter than what im used to in VWs.... How tight is your belts?

The belt is pretty darn tight...i suppose go tighter then? I just dont wanna tighten it too much.

The main problem is that when its pouring i need my A/C to defog my windows but it squeals like mad, and at the same time it slips because of the rain getting onto it and i lose power steering, NOT FUN!

if you;re losing ac and ps its definately just not tight enough,

you are also supposed to have a hood over your engine bay, works well to keep water out.

the belt slipping on the ac pulley will not affect the ps, until you burn the belt up and lose both.

you need a belt tension guage for your belt, commonly what you think is "tight enough" is not really tight enough

part # kr2 at Napa, you can order it online too

very funny. i have a hood. i was stuck without PS in a 1.5 foot water crossing. The water crossing was on my street in a flood last weekend. I also had problems when i was in a flood in NJ too... silly floods everywhere. its one thing to be blind, and another to be blind from the fog and not be able to steer!

Ill check out the tension gauge. my pops has his own shop so i could ask him too...anyone have any idea what the tension should be?

TIA, and thanks everyone else.

The belt is not tight enough or you need to replace the belt because its become glazed. Supposedly its supposed to only deflect a total 90 degrees of twist at the longest span when you twist it. That isin't really accurate so if you don't have the gauge, try to borrow one. Autozone or other parts stores might lend you one or if you are friendly with any shops. Make sure one of the pullys isint misaligned.

Edit: If your old man owns a shop then there you go I bet he has one. It says in the repair manuals how much to tighten, I don't have one with me right now.

yea my pops said mine is glazed. probably because it was loose for some time and wore it out. Guess ill pick up a new one tonight and use the gauge. Thanks !

Back