• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm road manners

xjkid99

NAXJA Forum User
Shopping for a new lift, first I specd out a 4.5" LA from rock krawler then decided I wanted to go up to the 6.5. My final goal is to clear 35's and Ive been doing a bunch of searching and from what ive seen most every one here who runs 35's and hasnt demolished their fenders are at 8" or more of lift. This pushes me to investigate the 8" RK long arm kit. I know that most long arm kits improve your on road ride over stock but when you get that tall does it affect on road manners that much. Also, my XJ is also my dd. thanks

You can clear 35's with a 4.5" if you don't mind doing the trimming. I have seen it done and it really keeps the overall height (hence center of gravity) down on your rig. Stupidly high lifts are for full size trucks that only pull boats on the highway and never go offroad....in my opnion anyways.

DD 8" w/35s and probably stock axles. you gonna be doing any wheeling with this setup? not trying to criticize, it will just help us help you

Oh im gonna wheel it but Im trying to do things in order. First, the lift, SYE and CV driveshaft. Then once I have more money saved gears, lockers, chromo shafts and tires.

the thing is its gonna be hard to stuff 35s into unhacked fenders

then you might want to reconsider 8" of lift. you'll have issues with stock steering not to mention it will be tipsy as hell. 6" w/whackers would work too and be cheaper ;)

Mine has 8" LA with 35's. So far I have not hit fenders. It road okay when I got it but I did some tweeaking and now it rides great. No bump steer, no wobble. I get a little vibration between 40 and 43 mph but it hardly anything. Feels like a und balanced tire but I am sure it isn't. The 35's fit nice. It is a bit high in my opinion. I would have been happy with a 6" and 33's. When I go to Widetrac D44's then I might like it better. I am building them right now with ARB's and I should have them under it in the next few months.

Ramsey said:
then you might want to reconsider 8" of lift. you'll have issues with stock steering not to mention it will be tipsy as hell. 6" w/whackers would work too and be cheaper ;)

that depends on your wheel traveland the type of tire. i have about a 7" lift, custom FT style longarm with bushwackers and i have trouble fitting my 33" ssr's. yes i can fit a BFG 35" because they run a little less that advertised, but I'm pretty sure i couldn't run 35" swampers right now.

BTW i have about 5" of uptravel measured at the shock.

Dingo

I've got the FT 6in and BFG 35 12.50 mt's and they LOOK great sitting there, but unless you have trimmed your fenders or gotten the bushwackers, you're going to be rubbing. So far I haven't had the time trim my fenders, so I bumpstopped the hell out of my front and rear and haven't had any problems yet. :laugh3:

Dingo509 said:
that depends on your wheel traveland the type of tire. i have about a 7" lift, custom FT style longarm with bushwackers and i have trouble fitting my 33" ssr's. yes i can fit a BFG 35" because they run a little less that advertised, but I'm pretty sure i couldn't run 35" swampers right now.

BTW i have about 5" of uptravel measured at the shock.

Dingo
thats what bumpstops are for

I cant emphasize it enough......it CAN be done if youre willing to trim. tall lifts, as weird as it may sound, belong on the street.
36x12.50 TSL's on 6.5" of lift with ZERO trimming didnt rub on the street one bit.
97xj018.jpg

35's with trimming and it only rubs while turning at full compression because i need longer bumpstops.
Picture045.jpg

you would be absolutely foolish to get a massive lift and 35's without having the budget to AT LEAST re-gear. 35's will SUCK on stock axles. i'd recommend doing it RIGHT. which doesn't equal cheap!!

and, even tall 36's will clear on a 8" lift, provided you trim enough and have the right backspacing. mine rub, but not on the fenders. i hit my longarms and stuff on the inside of the wheel wells sometimes. nothing serious enough to worry about though.

xjkid99 said:
Also, my XJ is also my dd. thanks

xjkid99 said:
Oh im gonna wheel it but Im trying to do things in order. First, the lift, SYE and CV driveshaft. Then once I have more money saved gears, lockers, chromo shafts and tires.

I can't beileve Nobody has pointed this out till just now but running 35's on a DD rig on stock gearing is a bad idea. I(experimentally) ran some 35 mtr's with stock gearing when i still drove mine on the street occasionally. In lines of acceleration from a standstill think VW beetle... the old one (0-60... eventually) ... 10-12 mpg while this slow paced movement was going on. it did eliminate my od/3rd gear hunting on the highway that i had with 33's though; OD was rendered useless, and i drove in the 3 range all the time.

I'd save for the gearing/lockers too if you want to have areasonably driveable rig.

I have a RK 6.5" lift with 35's. I also have BWs. Under full stuff the tires will rub the flares. I used Rocky Road BPEs in the front to stop the up movement of the axle. RK lifts do not use bumpstops. Their shocks have internal bump stops. The BPEs will still let the tires just barely kiss the flares. Here is a pic under full stuff, The flares have not been hurt yet.
Picture021.jpg

ECU88XJ said:
I can't beileve Nobody has pointed this out till just now but running 35's on a DD rig on stock gearing is a bad idea. I(experimentally) ran some 35 mtr's with stock gearing when i still drove mine on the street occasionally. In lines of acceleration from a standstill think VW beetle... the old one (0-60... eventually) ... 10-12 mpg while this slow paced movement was going on. it did eliminate my od/3rd gear hunting on the highway that i had with 33's though; OD was rendered useless, and i drove in the 3 range all the time.

I'd save for the gearing/lockers too if you want to have areasonably driveable rig.

It big time sux. Mine has (for the moment anyway) 35's with all stock axles and 3.54 gears. I can;t even stay in overdirve. Fuel eco is horrible. I will be going to D44's, ARB's front and rear and 4.56 gears. Think that will work?

i'd recommend 4.88's personally.... you'll be glad you did - on and off road!

Stouttrout said:
It big time sux. Mine has (for the moment anyway) 35's with all stock axles and 3.54 gears. I can;t even stay in overdirve. Fuel eco is horrible. I will be going to D44's, ARB's front and rear and 4.56 gears. Think that will work?

with D44 i would go lower like 4.88 or even 5.13. I have 33" ssr's and i think it turns a little low, around 2100 at 65 the performance is alright but could be better.

Dingo

Back