• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC Drop

civiceg22

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I did a search and came up with nothing, SO>>I am getting a RE 3.5" Super Ride kit, it isn't sold with a TC drop should I get one/need one? I am trying to save some money. Also will I need shims for the back axle as well or instead. Thanks.

civiceg22 said:
OK, I did a search and came up with nothing, SO>>I am getting a RE 3.5" Super Ride kit, it isn't sold with a TC drop should I get one/need one? I am trying to save some money. Also will I need shims for the back axle as well or instead. Thanks.
I just put 3 inches up front, and 3.5 inches out back. Got some vibrations out back, so ordered up the SYE. If you aren't getting the SYE, you will need the TC drop IF you develope vibrations. It seems this is mostly a wait and see issue. My vibes weren't too bad, but this is my DD, and I don't want to be replacing TC or Pinion bearings any time soon. Vibes are generally bad for everything! You will have to wait and see if you need them. My XJ is an 01. Apparently the earlier body style tolerated moderate lift better.
HTH

I got the RE 3.5 Super flex, and istead of dropping the TC by 1" I dropped my by only 1/2" which took care of my vibrations

I'm running RE 3.5 leaves on my 95 with the RE 3/4 inch Tcase lowering kit and get vibes. When I first installed it all it was fine, no more vibes (I had them before from AAL and lift shackle combo). Now I get vibes when braking heavily, but I've also bent my crossmember back up to almost the stock height in the center...

When I was at 3.5" I did not have vibrations and didn't lower my T-case. I guess it depends upon luck at that point. When I went to 5" I installed an SYE. It just didn't make sense to me to raise the Jeep for ground clearance and then lower the t-case.

Robert

If you do end up needing a drop, there's two things you could try...

You could spend money and get a $100 Rusty's Offroad crossmember with a 1" t-case drop built in with NO ground clearance loss.

If you don't want to spend money and have a welder and access to some sort of cutting device, you could do what I did:

1- Unbolt the crossmember

2- Mark directly under the seam between the upper and lower plates

3- Cut the top plate off

4- Bend a plate of steel to match the curvature (I used some old 10 (I think) guage diamond plating laying around the shop)

5- Weld it back together

6- Drill new mount holes

7- Bolt up the crossmember

There - now you have a crossmember with about a 1" drop and no clearance loss.

Hope that helps...

Back