• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ram charger d44?

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
does anyone know if a front d44 from a 1990 Ram Charger will fit the front of my xj.
i can modify it to work.
i just want to know if i can use it.
i have never heard of anyone using a d44 out of dodges.
thanks,brad

sure w/ enough time effort and money anything will work

is it a direct bolt it or close? (NO)

looks like a 1990 ram has a passengerside drop front diff

1456310_3.jpg

yup id bet that is a pass drop front - which if you are going to run a d300, would be a good axle for you...

any plans to use a different T-case?

i have seen in person 2 XJ's with passenger diffs, but didnt have the time to get under the vehicle and look at the exhaust, linkage, or any of that...

if you are looking for a d44, look for a 1980 or newer Wagoneer front axle, a Ford f-150, f-100, f-250, EB, FSB, or look into custom axle tubes.

the advantage of the fords being the high pinion

there is plenty of info out there, if you take a look for it...

i was asking about a 1990 ram because my buddy has one he wants to get rid of.
so for free you cant beat that.
i dont want it if the diff. is on the passenger side.
just put the rubi 241or in last summer.

moneypitxj said:
just put the rubi 241or in last summer.
You said you could modify it to work.
Swap the tubes.

moneypitxj said:

How much does he want for it? What is wrong with it?
I have a non running 1981 1/2 ton dodge 2wd pick up on my someday project list. I have thought about converting to 4 wheel drive with an appropriate donor truck if the price is right (very cheap). I live in Harford county, Md so I am well within driving/towing distance from york, PA.

i'm running a dodge 44 in my mj. it is nice since they are a bit narrower than a chevy- just be careful you arent getting one with the vacuum disconnect.

i did not think about swapping tubes sounds like it would work.
thanks okie.

oh and wacho4 i think im going to keep this one but he might have another one.
i will ask him and pm you with a price.

Swapping the tubes wont cure the fact that its a low pinion. How much lift do you plan on running?

Remember that your stock front axle is a high pinion, and dropping to a low pinion, especially if going up in lift height, is going to open a whole new can of worms with the driveshaft angle up front. I personally would hold out, and save the money for a hp44 from a Ford. There's that old addage: If its so easily done, and no one seems to have done it, theres probably a reason why.

low pinion isnt that big of a deal, im putting a low pinion 44 outta a j10 in my jeep as we speak, driveline is looking to be fine.....

Back