• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water/Computer ISSUES!?!?!

cco175ranger

NAXJA Forum User
Well after a nice day of trail riding at paragon park my retarded-self decided to hit one last DEEP mud hole before I left. I made it through by the skin of my teeth, but as I was on my way home I noticed the problems to follow. First I lost my tach gauge, followed by my speedo. I watched as my battery gauge fell and all the accesories move in slow motion. I pulled over and checked what I could on the side of the road. The battery was a red top optima and was only holding 7 volts and dropping at this time. I got back in and drove a little further hoping to get as close to home as I could... Then it happened, she died. I had nothing left in the battery to restart or move her. I am off tomm. to go back with the trailer and recover her. I did have a chance to check the fuses under the dash and they were all good. Also when I popped the hood I noticed what I have heard to be part of the jeeps computer (Black funny shapped box next to the airbox attached to the drivers side inner fender wall with a mother load of wires running into it) completely covered in soupy mud. I am wonder if water damage in that box is the place it happened. Can anybody give me ways to check/repair what they think is the issue. I am fairly electically inclined just need to know where to start. PLEASE HELP!!!

PS: I searched for other post related to this and didn't come across anything, if you do please send me the link.

K I was also thinking the alternator myself. Is there any fusable links/fuses that are inline with the alternator or charging system that could have also gone that will prevent the new one from working other then whats under the dash and in the main fuse box under the hood? Also is there any sure fire way to make sure its the alternator b4 purchasing a new one other then throwing a charged battery in/starting the truck/then disconnecting the battery to make the car run off the alternator? Does anyone know where you can get a cheap but not POS alternator for a reasonable price. I checked napaonline.com and it was in the 170.00's. Lastly why would the tach/speedo go in sessions rather then all at once when the battery died? Thats what made me think it was something electrical and shorting one thing out after another.

cco175ranger said:
K I was also thinking the alternator myself. Is there any fusable links/fuses that are inline with the alternator or charging system that could have also gone that will prevent the new one from working other then whats under the dash and in the main fuse box under the hood? Also is there any sure fire way to make sure its the alternator b4 purchasing a new one other then throwing a charged battery in/starting the truck/then disconnecting the battery to make the car run off the alternator? Does anyone know where you can get a cheap but not POS alternator for a reasonable price. I checked napaonline.com and it was in the 170.00's. Lastly why would the tach/speedo go in sessions rather then all at once when the battery died? Thats what made me think it was something electrical and shorting one thing out after another.
Fuses don't blow slowly but batteries go dead slowly, I think as the voltage got lower and lower things just quit working. Autozone will test your alt on the machine in the store.
BTW your computer is under your dash above your right knee.

cco175ranger said:
(Black funny shapped box next to the airbox attached to the drivers side inner fender wall with a mother load of wires running into it)

What is this? I guess I also thought this was the "computer".

hey, DO NOT, DO NOT disconnect the battery with the engine running. You can send a surge to the computer when you disconnect and when you reconnect with it running.
Sold a few computers to ppl b/c of that when I worked at Autozone.

If you put a charged battery, can be your own just recharged, and you start the engine and everything works you will be able to read the charging volts in your dashboard, if you just have idiot lights (I don't know if all came with a voltmeter) it should light, if so then you know its the alternator the faulty one.

That way you can check and use the advice given before by several more knowledgeable members of this forum as NEVER disconect/connect the battery with the engine running.

Maybe your alternator just needs an internal cleanup or new diodes. The alternator is not so difficult to disassemble and besides you can not lose anything if you are planning on buying a new one, why not give it a try.
Diodes should be availiable at electronic depots and they are replaced just by unbolting them. And they are CHEEP.

Good luck

SACEM

You should also probably make sure the connector to the computer is not shorted by mud and water. I've had my tachometer go off on very heavy rains and it seems to be because water collects at the bottom of the connector. since the voltage regulator is in the computer, problems there could conceivably cause you to lose charge even if the alternator is good. Since the Jeep did not die until the battery went dead, it's unlikely the computer is fried, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to dry out the connectors anyway.

my question is how did you not hydrolock your engine? Are you just really really REALLY lucky?

have you looked at the altenator placement on the 4.0L lately, it's alot lower than the intake. The intake is also a sheilded little more by sheet metal and such from just a splash through a mud hole.

Yea it was the Alternator. Put a new one in and everything was back to normal. Now to get the 100lbs of dried mud off the truck... UGH hahaha. Thanxs for the help guys.

Oh the NEW alternator I got didn't require a core deposit and my old one wasn't totally fried. Is it worth and does anybody know where I can have it rebuilt to have a back-up? I am from the NJ/PA area but if there's a place online post the link for me. Thanxs again guys.

Back