• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u joint of front d/s

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having trouble getting the last u joint to compress far enough to be able to get the rings to snap in. I'm trying to be careful not to break the zerk fitting (you can only guess how I know I need to be careful with it this time)!

I've been using c-clamps, didn't work. Tried a bench vise, didn't work!

Any helpful ideas??

I'd remove the zerk (to relieve pressure) and try it that way. I learned the hard way that the zerks go in last.

If it is still in a bind, it might be that one of the needles has slipped in between the cap and the cross... dissasemble, replace the needle (if ya didn't maul it) and reassemble.

Had the same problem with mine. I took it to a DS shop, they whacked it with a hammer to unspool the DS & pressed it in with a socket & vice.

Next time I changed a u-joint, I did the same thing. Took about 3-4 good hard whacks with a BFH, but you could hear it unspool. Pressed right in - saved me $10 for the R&R...

Well, if you try too hard, you just might break the yoke! Anyone care to take a guess on how I know that.
I tried doing one snap ring at a time. Got one in, while I was pressing the other side, the groove that holds the snap ring in place chipped out and the snap ring flew across the garage.

Oh well, now I can go and spend $300 on a used driveshaft!!!

Back