• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump replaced

aarong

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here but need to ask a question. I replaced my fuel pump in my 89 XJ 4.0 last night, everything went well and after reading the posts in this forum about fuel pump replacement I may have missed hooking up a hose.

The hose in question appears to be a fuel return line, there is a fuel barb that is a smaller diameter than the feed line, I didn't realize that there is a hose that is located inside of the tank that this fuel barb needs to fit into. I am currently driving this vehicle and am wondering if I am causing harm to the fuel pump or risking a vehicle fire by not having this hose connected to the barb. Do I need to drop the tank to hook this hose up or is it doable without dropping the tank??

Great forum here BTW, thanks for the help

I'm reviving this thread becuase I have a similar question.

My question is: Is there really something for the fuel return line to set down onto in the tank. I am assuming that "aarong," in the previous post, is referring to the triangulare shapped rubber cap on bottom of the metal line that runs along the fuel pump. Not my FSM or the Chiltons mentions that at all.

Second question is: Outside of a bad pump, what could cause the fuel pump not to pump fuel?

My third question is: If the rubber gasket didn't seat just right, could there be air getting into the fuel tank that would hinder the operation of the fuel pump, which I assume works somewhat on suction?

I am on my second new pump and both are doing the same thing. When I turn on the tuck, the pump primes but won't shoot fuel out the line that is supposed to be hooked to the fuel pump. I know it is supposed to, since that is the way I drained the old fuel from my tank...by priming the pump into a bucket.

There is only one way to hook up the 2 electrodes on the top of the pump, as if you do it wrong, the pump won't even run...so I know they are hooked up correctly.

Other than that, it is just the fuel line, and the in-tank filter that needed to be hooked up. It just can't be that difficult.

I really could use some answers, and I know "aarong" could too...help us out!

Thanks

The pump is an easy one to replace because i have on older cherokee I keep an extra one with me.what year is your cherokee because from I think 1989 and earlier is different than the 1990 and later if you have the wrong one it sounds like it is running, but I think it runs the wrong way. for your other question the pump is not that complicated buy a new pump there are 2 types chances are that it is the bosh one and becareful on how you take it apart. make sure all the hoses and both wires are hooked up the way I look at it when the pump is on the hanger(sending unit) it only goes on one way the ground wire is the connector that is closest to the sending unit for the guage. and for sealing it up properlly once it's all togetherfill the tank if there is no fuel leaking out around the lock ring it's sealed up ok....and for that little rubber end cap its not important the pump works the same without it.

aarong said:
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here but need to ask a question. I replaced my fuel pump in my 89 XJ 4.0 last night, everything went well and after reading the posts in this forum about fuel pump replacement I may have missed hooking up a hose.

The hose in question appears to be a fuel return line, there is a fuel barb that is a smaller diameter than the feed line, I didn't realize that there is a hose that is located inside of the tank that this fuel barb needs to fit into. I am currently driving this vehicle and am wondering if I am causing harm to the fuel pump or risking a vehicle fire by not having this hose connected to the barb. Do I need to drop the tank to hook this hose up or is it doable without dropping the tank??

Great forum here BTW, thanks for the help
What happens if that return line in not in the correct place in the tank it will leave air in the system when the engines off causing the fuel rail to empty out. The only problem is longer cranking time because the rail is empty.

Back