• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 splines

otto

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to put the AX-15 transmission back in a 1990 XJ after replacing the internal slave cylinder. Is the spline shaft supposed to be dry? Should it be lubricated, and if so what should I use on it? Thanks for any help.

VERY little. Bear in mind that the input shaft (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about) spins around inside the clutch assembly, and any grease/oil on the shaft will find its way onto the friction surface.

A little grease is generally required for the pilot, but again VERY little (you don't want it to squidge out and get all over everything.) The shaft should be dry - or I might use a whiff of dry graphite on the thing - which would be applied to the internal spline on the clutch disc, for more control.

First and foremost - make sure the clutch disc is perfectly concentric - or damn close to it - or you'll be swearing in several languages. The best alignment tool, I've found, is a broken input shaft. Nearly any Jeep manual transmission will work - almost all of them use a 1-/18"-10 input shaft spline. You can cut one off with a grinder (I did.) Those plastic ones have a nasty habit of bending...

5-90

My clutch kit came with alittle packet of "spline grease" to be used on the disc splines.So I would also say yea.I also tend to think that at the most that shaft is only going to spin at up to 3000 rpm(normally) and around 5000 rpm(if your a rev monster!!)so I don't think a light coat of grease on the splines is going to get slung off by centrifugal force....sure it probably would if you smeared it on like peanut butter!!Any time you have moving parts that make metal to metal contact you need lube else parts wear,or worse seize.The key here is very lightly coat the splines.Beware,however to make sure no oil or grease of any kind(even the oil from your fingers) is on the flywheel/disk surface.This will cause hot spots on the flywheel.
This info is based on my experience in the real world and from what I've read here and other places.Correct me if I'm wrong......

Last edited:
Yep - but that's why I like graphite. I also tend to apply it with a camera lense brush - it's just one of my little tricks I've been doing for 20 years or so. Works well!

Even with a light coat, it's still possible to have some "grease casting" from the shaft. While it's a fairly small shaft, it's still subject to being spun up around 3000-3500rpm - and that's still some significant surface speed that is able to toss something off of a shaft. If I was going to have to use grease, I would go VERY light - or quite light with graphite. I'd honestly prefer a good teflon or moly coat to make for a dry lube, but I'm picky...

5-90

Thanks gents for the benefit of your experience. This is my first AX-15 R&R and I've had a few questions along the way. Goes back in this weekend. Now if I can just remember how to put everything back together...

Back