• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gears

smccollamjr

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 w/ a D30 & 8.25 w/ 3.07 gears (5-speed). If I upgrade to 3.55s will I need to replace the carriers or just ring & pinion?

the carriers will be the same if you go up to 3.55.. The d30 split is at 3.73 and the 8.25 doesn't have a split as far as I remember... I have a set of used 355's for the HP30 and 8.25 if your interested...

What tires are you running or thinking about.That seems like a lot of work for so little difference!

Clean-RC said:
and the 8.25 doesn't have a split as far as I remember...
Just as a point of interest, I think the 8.25 does have a split but it's someplace in the 2's range or something like that, so it doesn't affect us at all.

I'm running 235s. Won't go over 31s. I basically just want a little more torque when towing a camper. I really don't want to go to 4.10s because I'm on the highway much more than the trail :-(

smccollamjr said:
I'm running 235s. Won't go over 31s. I basically just want a little more torque when towing a camper. I really don't want to go to 4.10s because I'm on the highway much more than the trail :-(
If you're going to go to 31's do 4.11's. If you will have 235's still do 4.11's. That's what I used to run both with 235's and 4.11's and the jeep worked great: both for speed and fuel efficiency.

Back