• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE6130 Install/Shims

PVH

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my very own shinny new RE 6130 kit. I'm getting RS9000x shocks, JKS BPE's, series 97 wheels and 31x10.5 Trxus tires. Oh yes, and a "hack'n'tap" with new shaft.

So my questions is this. Should I order up some 2* shims for the rear leafs or will the supplied shackle put the pinion angle in the right place? I'll have to drive it for a few days with the T-case drop before I can do the SYE.

I did do a search on shims and I'm about to read the Tom Woods 101 info but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience. I want to try to get as many of my ducks in a row so that I'm not doing too much running around later! Thanks for any info offered.

Sonofa...I just answered and my wireless hiccupped.

Basically, skip the shims until you get the SYE (and remove the t-case drop). This assumes you aren't driving long distances or hammering the gas all the time. 4* or 6* shims will work when you've installed that - measure first.

Yucca-Man said:

Basically, skip the shims until you get the SYE (and remove the t-case drop). This assumes you aren't driving long distances or hammering the gas all the time. 4* or 6* shims will work when you've installed that - measure first.

Well he might need shims mounted in the opposite direction. The answer is: you won't know till you put it in :D

Yucca-Man said:
I hate it when that happens. :mad:

Just out of curiosity, but how do you guys keep the lift #s apart form eachother? When you say 6130, what does that conotate? Are the # linked to anything?

Starboard M said:
I hate it when that happens. :mad:

Just out of curiosity, but how do you guys keep the lift #s apart form eachother? When you say 6130, what does that conotate? Are the # linked to anything?
I think that if you go to RE's site you'd be able to look up the components included in the kit.

Thanks for the replies boys.

Guess I'll just have to be patient and do the measurements when it's time. Can't wait to join the modified crew. Thanks again! Paul

Starboard M said:
It's REs part number for a batch of their individual parts. One good thing about ordering an RE kit though is that the included parts aren't what you HAVE to accept. They're happy to swap similar parts in/out and charge/credit the difference.
Normal RE6130 parts breakdown:
RE1220 U-Bolt Kit 2.75" x 9.0 1
RE3700 Control Arm SF2 Lower Fixed 1 (qty=2 arms in the RE3700 kit)
RE3781 Control Arm SR2 Upper Front Fixed 1 (qty=2 arms in the RE3781 kit)
RE1165 Sway Bar Disconnects Set With 6" Center Tube 1 (These are the Gen I discos)
RE1171 Sway Bar Disconnects Adapter Bracket Kit XJ 1
RE2120 T-Case Lowering Kit XJ/ZJ 1
RE1515 Brake Line SS Rear XJ/ZJ 1
RE1600 Track Bar XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ 3"+ 1
RE1310 Coil Springs XJ 4.5" 1 (qty=2 springs in the kit)
RE1463 3.5" Extreme Duty XJ Rear Spring (1) 2
RE1380 Bump Stops 2" Front XJ/ZJ/TJ 1
RE2700 Shackle XJ Rear 1.25" Lift 1
RE1550 Brake Lines SS FT XJ/MJ/ZJ/CJ 1 (qty=2 brakelines in the kit)

However, as I said earlier you can upgrade. Common upgrades with this kit are removing the swaybar parts and adding JKS Quicker Discos or the Gen II discos; upgrading the trackbar; removing the t-case drop for credit toward shims or an SYE...

I've got RE 1462 leaves with RE 1.25" shackles and an 8.25 axle. I had a 1" TC drop and needed no shims at the axle. When I put on my AA SYE, I needed a 2.5* shim to the perfect angle on the drive shaft. (1* below {less than} straight to TC yoke)

Great. I'll need to run the Jeep for a few days with the drop kit before I can get the new driveshaft. I know all XJ's are different but that gives me some idea what to expect.
I see that RE sells steel shims but only in 2, 4 and 6* flavours. Where did you get your 2.5* shims?

Yucca-man- Thanks for your tips. I had a good look through your site before ordering my parts. I got the adj. lower arms so that I can use the drop bracket/brace kit if the ride is too harsh for me. Thanks for the info. Paul

I've got a Tera, Skyjacker mix 4.5"-5" with 242 t-case dropped 3/4". Very little to no vibs. Granted ground clearance suffers. But you get used to it. Get a good skid plate I have Rusty's I beat the hell out of it. Yes slip yoke is the way to go but not a mandatory to wheel.

Back