• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high oil pressure

XJ NORM

NAXJA Forum User
only happened 3 times.. so far, when i start the jeep, pressure pegs 80.
i let it run for a minute, turn off engine then restart and it's fine. should i
bring to the garage now or wait till it stays high?? is this a warning? i don't
know much about working on cars, and don't want to lose this one! 2001XJ
thanks,
norm

Hey I had an 88 Cherokee and by had I mean the engine is dead. I dontwant to alarm you beacuse as you said your Jeep is reasonably new. However my engine ran smooth as can be and one day the oil pressure read 80 as well, actually a little past 80. As I continued driving it would eventually get to 60 or so. Then came the day when it started billowing smoke out of the exhaust. It still ran fine but just smoked. Then I went to go start it one day and made an awful noise I never wat to hear again and I saw smoke pour from the engine compartment. My advice for you is to take it to the shop and have it looked at immediatly befor you drive on it and mess stuff up as I did. Like I ssaid it could be nothing since it is newer but don't take the chance!

Are you running a Fram filter per chance?

I'd check the obvious first--your oil pressure sending unit. When mine went it started doing that. I got a new one for $20 something bucks and five minutes of my time and my oil pressure is magically reading normal again. :D

i had the oil changed after 1st time...i don't know what filter, i'll check.also this weekend i'll buy another sending unit. (if it's that easy)
thanks for the help

norm

My vote's on a bad oil pressure sending unit, too ...because more things (problems) would cause oil P to go LOW than make it go high, so you're probably getting a false P reading. It's easy & cheap to install. If the new unit still reads a high P, then you may have something more insidious going on... Good Luck!

It is a bad sending unit mine does the same thing and it is a 2000. Also it is a very common part to go bad. Should be $40 at a dealership, don't think they sell them at Murray's or Autozone yet.

Fram filters are not particularly well thought of. Lots of people have had problems with them.

Check with your dealer... I get Mopar oil filters for about the same price as Frams. If you buy several at a time they will cut you a deal...

Back