• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a new head unit in a '96 XJ

jon88654

NAXJA Forum User
I want to install my old head unit from my old car in my '96 XJ, but I can't figure out how to get the instrument panel trim off far enough to pop out the stock stereo and install the new one. It gets caught up on the steering wheel and I can't remove it. Has anyone ever done this before and know how to remove the trim to install the new head unit? Thanks a lot.

if you haven't already, pull the plastic casing off from around the steering column. After that, just pull and kinda bend VERY carefully, and it comes off. When I pull mine off my '95, I generally rotate it counter clockwise (ie: long side goes up) as I pull towards me, and it kinda works its way off from right to left. definitely a bit worrisome as you're doing it though.

Jeepin Jason said:
if you haven't already, pull the plastic casing off from around the steering column. After that, just pull and kinda bend VERY carefully, and it comes off. When I pull mine off my '95, I generally rotate it counter clockwise (ie: long side goes up) as I pull towards me, and it kinda works its way off from right to left. definitely a bit worrisome as you're doing it though.
X2. JIM.

Back