• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a new head unit in a '96 XJ

jon88654

NAXJA Forum User
I want to install my old head unit from my old car in my '96 XJ, but I can't figure out how to get the instrument panel trim off far enough to pop out the stock stereo and install the new one. It gets caught up on the steering wheel and I can't remove it. Has anyone ever done this before and know how to remove the trim to install the new head unit? Thanks a lot.

IIRC, 4 screws hold the dash in place - 2 above the dials and 1 above the headlight switch and ciggie lighter respectively. You have to tease/ slide the top of the dash toward you, which does stress it a little, but will be OK if you're careful, before you can lift it away from the top of the steering column. The head unit is probably held in place by bent tabs - if you can bend these back before getting out the dash, your job will be a bit easier.

I have a 96 too, and this procedure is annoying, a terrible design. It helps a little if you put electrical tape on the plastic panel where it hits the column to not scratch it. You just have to wiggle it out.

Thanks for the tips, guys.
I am planning on migrating my Pioneer head unit to my '92 XJ Sport soon.
Thanks for the helpful hints.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question:

The wiring colors on the head unit don't match those on the connector in the dash, and I am concerned about causing a short.
The Pioneer doesn't have a male connector, just loose wires.
Do you folks know where I might find a way to figure out which wire connects with which?

Reindeer said:
Thanks for the tips, guys.
I am planning on migrating my Pioneer head unit to my '92 XJ Sport soon.
Thanks for the helpful hints.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question:

The wiring colors on the head unit don't match those on the connector in the dash, and I am concerned about causing a short.
The Pioneer doesn't have a male connector, just loose wires.
Do you folks know where I might find a way to figure out which wire connects with which?
You should be able to get the correct cable and plugs for your Pioneer head unit.

Back