• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmissin HELP!!!

vcbuzz

NAXJA Forum User
Used my 89 XJ to jump start a car .Now it will NOT shift. It stays in low gear.All fuses are ok.I can disconnect the battery ground and that works.But when i start it up without doing that it stays in low....I need HELP ..The HAYNES Manual was NO help..
Thank you for your help..

vcbuzz said:
Used my 89 XJ to jump start a car .Now it will NOT shift. It stays in low gear.All fuses are ok.I can disconnect the battery ground and that works.But when i start it up without doing that it stays in low....I need HELP ..The HAYNES Manual was NO help..
Thank you for your help..
How did you cannect the jumper cable ground?
Check/clean the grounds on the firewall and the group on the driverside fender.

langer1 said:
How did you cannect the jumper cable ground?
Check/clean the grounds on the firewall and the group on the driverside fender.

The ground for the TCU is on the dipstick holder on mine. There is a fuse in the harness for the TCU, kind of under/behind the glove box, seperate from the normal fuse block.
I got in the habit, a long time ago, of jumping from the two battery poles and with my motor off, key off. You can borrow my battery, but not my whole electrical system. Jumped off a guy with a Chevy, who had a run away alternator, my voltage meter pegged (when he started), I was aware enough to shut it down quick. Still cost me an assortment of light bulbs, could have been worse.

Last edited:
have you tryed disconnecting the battery for 5 min or so you might have just confused the tcm. we have a 91, (a litttle different i know) that the tcm got confused a lot. it used to stall a lot on the road and when it stated back up the shifts were all off. however it if we stoped turned it off then on it came around. yeah you always want to concider the issues involved when boosting. damage can be done. good luck.

Back