• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No idle...

wulf711

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cheap ($500) 2000 XJSE that I can buy ,if I can get it home. the problem I am having with it is that it will not start unless I give it gas and then keep feathering it so it will not stall. The Alternator is Bad and so is the battery (well at least it is not charged). It has multiple cooling problems due to a head on cllision with a drill auger... another story. If anyone can give me an idea of what I can try that would be great.....

You can email me also at [email protected]

thanks,

Gabe

Failure to idle can be caused by lots of things. If it runs fine at any speed above an idle then the problem is most likely either a dirty/clogged IAC passage or a bad IAC (idle air controller). A badly missadjusted TPS (throttle position sensor) can also cause problems, but normally won't cause it to die. Vacuum leaks normally cause a high idle, since if the IAC and ECU are working, along with the O2 sensor, the computer will adjust the mixture to compensate.

Once it warms up, does it idle correctly?

If it kind of dogs at higher rpms as well, you may be fighting a clogged CAT.

If the alternator and battery are bad, how are you running it at all? The reason I ask is that Chrysler electronics are notorious for not running well without a good battery. If the battery is bad enough that it doesn't hold a charge, the system will be operating on the unfiltered "dirty" DC from the alternator, and it will behave badly. Before you do too much, try a nice fresh battery with a good charge.

Whatever you do I would suggest you buy it. Tow it home with a rented truck and dolly if you must. Plenty of time to diagnose it better then.

Back