• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear quater glass question

fish1976

NAXJA Forum User
I want to take out the rear quater glass. I have a black lab and she loves to be at a window however if you have 5 peoeple and one lab there are no windows are left. If any one has information on how to remove them I would greatly appreciate the info. thanks fish

fish1976 said:
I want to take out the rear quater glass. I have a black lab and she loves to be at a window however if you have 5 peoeple and one lab there are no windows are left. If any one has information on how to remove them I would greatly appreciate the info. thanks fish

What year is your XJ? Johnnie is looking for rear quarter glass for his '96.. he broke his last weekend.

go and buy some cold knives.... its not very easy to do with out breaking the glass, a local glass shop could do it for you fairly quickly and pretty inexpensive..... but then you wont have a window there permanatly...... think it through

cal said:
What year is your XJ? Johnnie is looking for rear quarter glass for his '96.. he broke his last weekend.

I just went to the junkyard today and got a replacement window. They are really easy to push out just using your hands. My buddy and I took 3 windows out before picking the best one. So we got a lot of practice. :laugh3:

It helps to remove the plastic trim at the bottom of the window (2 screws)then pull up the lower rear corner of the rubber and push it out of the opening with the glass, working you're way to the front of the window top and bottom until the only part of the window rubber that's inside the truck is the verticle part at the very front then pull the intire window/rubber towards the back of the truck and its out; no tools needed. It can be removed within 5 minutes but putting it back takes longer and can be tough to get right so it's probably out of there for the summer.

It just pushes out. It is very easy. Get someone inside the xj and have them push gently outward on the window. While they are pushing and working the rubber over the lip you pull slightly to give them some help. Start at the top left corner and work your way toward the back of the window. Next thing you know it is out.

When you want to put it back in again put someone inside the xj. Put a string around the rubber seal in the grove. Start at one corner and push from the outside while some pulls the string from the inside working the rubber seal back over the lip that the window sit on.

Back