• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine races on startup

XJ16FW

NAXJA Forum User
My '95, six cylinder XJ races the engine for a few seconds on startup. I have seen my buddies do it too ('89, I think). It doesn't do it every time. Any ideas?

I found this in another thread, it might cause the racing at startup, especially if warm/hot.

XJXJ
NAXJA Forum User Join Date: Jan 2005

Re: Idle RPM's unsteady, too low, then too high

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four things here - TPS, is it good and is it adjusted properly? IAC, is the area clean inside the TB (throttle body)? If your idle speed is changing the IAC is probably working but they do stick open sometimes and cause very high idle speed upon warm/HOT restart. 02, Renix will idle erratic with a bad and/or weak 02. Finally, vacuum leaks - intake manifold bolts, perhaps the MAP vac tube is ruptured?

Get the FSM download and study things. It's not that complicated but a few things need to be handled in the correct order with regard to TPS adjustment.

Back