• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tube to rod end size

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
i know it has been discused before but i can't find the thread but i'm building my steering and need to know what size tube to buy so that i can have it threaded to accept a 3/4-16 heim joint.

bj-666 said:
i know it has been discused before but i can't find the thread but i'm building my steering and need to know what size tube to buy so that i can have it threaded to accept a 3/4-16 heim joint.

You need 11/16" ID to tap to 3/4" 16 thread. I just order the tubing for my steering with an 11/16" ID which makes the project simple. I use .250 wall DOM with the 11/16" ID and order it from the local steel yard. You have to buy a 20' length, but it's always handy to have around, and if you make a drag link, tie rod, and a track bar you'll use most of it.

QA1 makes a very slick double adjuster that allows you to adjust the toe without having to turn the tie rod. It still uses left hand thread in the tubing, but a right hand thread rod end, so you don't have to carry both left and right hand spares.

double adjuster

If you lived close by you could borrow my right and left hand 3/4 16 taps.... :)

BrettM said:
do you already have a 3/4-16 left and right tap? or a buddy that works at a machine shop?

i have a friend that owns a machine shop so i should get a decent price on gettign the threads cut

goatman said:
You need 11/16" ID to tap to 3/4" 16 thread. I just order the tubing for my steering with an 11/16" ID which makes the project simple. I use .250 wall DOM with the 11/16" ID and order it from the local steel yard. You have to buy a 20' length, but it's always handy to have around, and if you make a drag link, tie rod, and a track bar you'll use most of it.

QA1 makes a very slick double adjuster that allows you to adjust the toe without having to turn the tie rod. It still uses left hand thread in the tubing, but a right hand thread rod end, so you don't have to carry both left and right hand spares.

double adjuster

If you lived close by you could borrow my right and left hand 3/4 16 taps.... :)

thanx for the tips ordering tube i'll prob be able make my Full traction panhard work because i'm not doing ture high steer i'm just about broke right now and want to get the rig back on the road so i don't think i'll go with the adjustable thingamajigger but thanx for the link. haha thanx for the offer on the taps but i think we live just about as far away as you can get in the continental states

Cruzin Illusion said:
1 1/8" by 1/4" wall D.O.M. tubing

Hey, I just ran these numbers and they don't add up to an 11/16" ID which you need to tap directly to 3/4-16. If you used 1 3/16" x 0.25 wall, then you would get 11/16" ID. I don't know if this is a common sized tube or not though. Jeff

Goatman said:

double adjuster

That adjuster is a sweet deal... you couldn't have that made at a shop for $10.

bj-666 said:
i have a friend that owns a machine shop so i should get a decent price on gettign the threads cut

thanx for the tips ordering tube i'll prob be able make my Full traction panhard work because i'm not doing ture high steer i'm just about broke right now and want to get the rig back on the road so i don't think i'll go with the adjustable thingamajigger but thanx for the link. haha thanx for the offer on the taps but i think we live just about as far away as you can get in the continental states
if you are having a machine shop do it, you don't really need an exact size tubing, they can bore it out to 11/16 pretty dang easy. just get whatever good sized tube you can find cheap that is smaller than 11/16 ID. 1.25 .375 wall would be real nice.

Back