• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ with blinker problem.. this is the fourth forum I ask...

Huerito

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 96 XJ SE with a "slight blinker problem" as the previous owner said. It has turned to a nightmare and my arm is tired from signaling my left and right turns.

Bulbs are good. Fuses are good. Hazards work.. but the turn signals don't. I have asked for the flashers at auto part stores and they keep referring me to a 1.5 inch round mushroom shaped flasher. My jeep doesn't have this size on it. It has one that is 3/4" round. it is hanging off some wires that are bundled up and not anywhere near the fuse box.

Now my question is:

Does this year jeep use the silver metallic flashers?
I have read that the blue relay under the steering column handles both the turn signals and hazards. That the turn signal can go out, but the hazards can still function. I bought one at NAPA auto parts and the hazards do not work on this one.. they guy gave me the wrong part.

I also want to test the turn signal switch but need the wiring diagram to do this. I cannot afford the 100 dollars for FSM and the Chilton manual is not detailed enough. If anyone has the schematics for this model/year.. please PM me..

Thanks

sounds like you have 2 alternatives left....the actual lever itself...unlikely, or the part down on the bottom of the steering column. Try a used one first. Once you get an electrical part NEW it cannot be returned to most shops.

If it cannot be returned, can it be exchanged.. or do you mean returned at all.

I have been to three different junkyards and none have this realy in them. They do have older models of XJ with the mushroom shaped relays.

Huerito said:
I have read that the blue relay under the steering column handles both the turn signals and hazards. Thanks
I had a similar problem with my 93. It turned out to be the relays - there are separate ones for the hazard (silver) and turn signals (blue). I don't know about the 96, but if you look at the relay panel you described, there should be 2 similar cylindrical relays if it's like mine. Try swapping the relays over to see if it solves the problem. I went through 4 different variations until I insisted that the dealer get me exactly the same relay for my turn signals as my hazards - it was a Wagner 552 IIRC (Wagner something anyway...) - it was silver, rather than blue, and basically was much better rated, allowing me to wire in my turn lights on my bullbar. Good luck - if it's the same as my problem, it's frustrating, but easily solved.

Sorry to bring this back from the grave but this is SPOT ON my problem and I'm curious if you found the solution or not. Any help is appreciated.

I will add that I pulled the 3/4" round cylinder out of my 96 and tried it on my 95 model (the 95 model is the one with the issue) and it didn't make any difference.

Huerito said:
I just bought a 96 XJ SE with a "slight blinker problem" as the previous owner said. It has turned to a nightmare and my arm is tired from signaling my left and right turns.

Bulbs are good. Fuses are good. Hazards work.. but the turn signals don't. I have asked for the flashers at auto part stores and they keep referring me to a 1.5 inch round mushroom shaped flasher. My jeep doesn't have this size on it. It has one that is 3/4" round. it is hanging off some wires that are bundled up and not anywhere near the fuse box.

Now my question is:

I have read that the blue relay under the steering column handles both the turn signals and hazards. That the turn signal can go out, but the hazards can still function. I bought one at NAPA auto parts and the hazards do not work on this one.. they guy gave me the wrong part.

I also want to test the turn signal switch but need the wiring diagram to do this. I cannot afford the 100 dollars for FSM and the Chilton manual is not detailed enough. If anyone has the schematics for this model/year.. please PM me..

Thanks

Look for a rectangular flasher in the relay center under the dashboard. It is the same size and shape as the standard relays. I think it's blue. The flasher is there, not in the fuse panel or the PDC under the hood.

Huerito said:

Now my question is:

Thanks

Convert to Redline blinker fluid and that should cure your problem. ;)
Nah seriously it looks like you've either got a faulty switch, bad relay, or a blown fuse.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the pigtails. The ground was corroded. I got new ones at AutoZone for about $4 each and spliced them onto the harness. It was a 30 minute job and fixed the problem.

Well the blue relay that is in the relay center under the dash is ok. I tried a new one and it didn't change anything.

The blinker switch works as well cause I swapped it out with the one in our 96 XJ and it still didn't make the blinkers work.

All fuses are good. #4 and #8 in the fuse box on the firewall both are fine and the 15A one under the hood is fine as well.

Bump, any more suggestions? I need to get this fixed before someone rear-ends my wife's jeep!!

Wireing diagram or anything to aid in troubleshooting would be great!

ok well look under the dash under the steering column there is a boxk that has a couple realays on it on is for your hazards and your turnsignals you need to goto the dealer for the turnsignal/ flashers because the one that u can buy from autozone wont work its a dealer specific thing i had the same problem

96GreenXJjeep said:
ok well look under the dash under the steering column there is a boxk that has a couple realays on it on is for your hazards and your turnsignals you need to goto the dealer for the turnsignal/ flashers because the one that u can buy from autozone wont work its a dealer specific thing i had the same problem

I used some pigtails from AutoZone on a friend's 91 about 1 year ago, and they are still working. I'm no electrical genius, so if I can make it work anybody should be able to make it work. They don't have to come from the dealer.

Have you checked the connector for the harness under the airbox?

I don't know about the newer XJ's, but on the older ones there is a common ground that, if open, will screw up all the blinkers. It is located in the back on the drivers side behind the panel where the spare tire mounts.

Good luck.

I'll pull the relay out of our 96 and try it in the 95 and see if that works.

96GreenXJjeep said:

I'll second old_man's comment about bad grounds and blinkers. Do the bulbs light up and not blink or do they not light up at all. do the start on and then go off and stay off? Do both sides act the same way or does one side act differently than the other. ?
How are the parking lights? are they all the same brightness or is one dimmer?
How about brake lights, are they both the same brightness when you step on the brake?
Bad grounds will do REALLY wierd things with lighting...

tommyr said:
I'll second old_man's comment about bad grounds and blinkers. Do the bulbs light up and not blink or do they not light up at all. do the start on and then go off and stay off? Do both sides act the same way or does one side act differently than the other. ?
How are the parking lights? are they all the same brightness or is one dimmer?
How about brake lights, are they both the same brightness when you step on the brake?
Bad grounds will do REALLY wierd things with lighting...

The hazards work fine on the dash and all around the outside of the jeep. They are all about the same brightness and there isn't any funny blinking going on, they go on and off like they are supposed to. Both sides act the same and front to back acts the same. Brake lights work fine and are also the same brightness.

The only thing that doesn't work is the blinkers (left or right). It isn't the turn signal assembly on the steering column. It isn't the blue combo flasher relay. All the fuses under the hood and the ones under the dash are fine. The wireing diagram in the Haynes manual isn't specific enough to troubleshoot. (colors of wires are not consistent)

Ok, I finially figured it out. Turns out that the rear wiper didn't work either. After pulling the fuse pannel apart, the plug on the firewall apart, the power distribution center under the hood apart, and having the relay center under the dash apart I was able to track it down the lack of power. For our 95 (which the wireing is almost identical to our 96) the combination flasher relay has 2 power inputs. One is pink with a black stripe that is constant hot from the power distribution center under the hood (it changes color when it goes through the firewall plug to a black with a white stripe, this goes to one of the large 20A fuses labeled hazards). That is what allows the hazards to be turned on anytime. That power goes out of the combination relay via a violet/tan wire that goes to the combination switch (blinkers, hazards, etc). The second power wire that goes into the comb. relay is yellow/red. This one goes to the fuse pannel to fuse #10. The power strip in the fuse pannel that feeds circuit #10, the rear wiper circuit, and an aux circuit all come down to an orange wire (thicker gauge) that is fed from the ignition switch.

So long story short it was the ignition switch. When this all started I just needed the ignition key and tumbler but it turns out I needed more. Too bad I had to take the entire freaking wireing system apart to learn this. :flamemad:

So now I'm feeling pretty good (but very tired) and it is time for a few beers. :cheers:

Back