• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Questions

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
This question might belong in the stock tech forum but i'll be lifting soon so here goes. I had the intention of lifting my mj this weekend but a few things stopped me short. One of which was an issue with the trackbar. I had felt a popping and looseness and it was identified as the trackbar tre at the frame end. I haven't pulled it yet so i don't know if just the tre is bad or if that hole got egged out too. But anyway my question is this, my lift which hopefully will be going on soon is about 3 inches up front, the idea of redrilling the track bar hole is a little sketchy to me so i was thinking should i just get a whole new aftermarket track bar and (dropped?) mount( i don't plan on going too big with this rig but 5 inches and 33's are always a possibilty when money arrives) or should i just get an adjustable track bar and use a stock mount (no drop) I have access to a few good stock mounts in case the hole in mine is out of round. Also is it possible to just replace the tre in the track bar or is a whole new one required? The mj will get used but i try not to hammer it too hard, it will probably see mild to moderate trails and a little pre run fun, safely of course! Also which track bars and or mounts have you guys had good luck with? Thanks for all the help, BTW i searched but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.

Mike

I used Rusty's adjustable with the tie rod end, not the heavy duty bracket, with 4" of lift and it worked okay, but the original TRE Rusty included wore out very quickly. I understand that's a common complaint. It uses a standard TRE to replace it, and Rusty can provide the part number, but I don't know why he doesn't include a decent TRE with the bar in the first place.

But ... his bar will NOT work at stock height. The bend is different from the OEM track bar and is an interference fit with the front diff cover. The TRE on the stock bar, of course, is not replaceable.

For only a 3" lift, Pro Comp makes a Track bar drop bracket that is used in their 3" kit. All you have to do is drill one tiny hole, purchase this $11 bracket, and you can use your stock track bar. Come to think of it, I will have one available in the next two weeks. PM me your e-mail and I will send a pic of what it is and where it goes.

-Cracker

Thanks for all the help guys, if i was absolutely positive i was going to stay at 3 inches i might consider the drop bracket but who knows what will happen. I think for now i am going to try to pull the good one out of a parts rig and run that until i lift next weekend and then i'll put in an adjustable one. Perhaps i could make a stock one adjutsable.........great now i will be up for another three hours!!

Mike

You don't need a drop bracket, in fact, you probably don't want a drop bracket. The track bar and drag link are aligned to minimize any bumpsteer, so if you move one you usually want to move the other. Additionally, while it takes awhile to happen, the dropped track bar mount causes more flexing of the frame which can eventually lead to frame cracks.

The stock TRE at the end of the track bar can't be replaced because it's integral with the track bar. The tapered part of the TRE is usually secured into the mount, it's the joint itself that wears out, so you very likely don't have a wallowed out taper in the mount. The best solution is probably doing what you're thinking and going ahead with an aftermarket adjustable track bar. However, another stock track bar will work with 3" of lift, and it's very easy to drill another hole about one inch over in the axle end mount to move track bar slightly and keep the axle centered with the 3" lift.

Back