• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 Knocking

TeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a '91 Limited and everything checked out when I test drove it. I drove it for about 100 miles then changed the oil and did some other minor repairs. Now after about 1500 miles it has started knocking. The problem is, it is a weird knock. I have heard knocking caused by spun rod bearings and this doesn't sound like that. It sounds more like it is side to side and not as hard (softer material).

Now I've heard about piston slap, but have never actually heard piston slap, so I don't know if that is what I am hearing. That is actually what it sounds like, the piston is making contact with the rod. Its hard to describe, mainly because the sound isn't consistant at any RPMs.

Anyway, its not overheating and the oil pressure is fine. I got a little more blow by once it started and a little more smoke. I only put about 20 miles on it after it started, just long enough to get it home and parked.

Any ideas??

aardvark4x4 said:
Check the distributor shaft isn't worn and able to move side to side. This causes a knocking noise that sounds like a problem with the motor.

I checked this, doesn't seem to be any (abnormal?) wear, no movement either. Thanks for the input.

No other ideas?

Back