• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what kind of tool do i use?????

hangubus

NAXJA Forum User
Hey im flushing my cooling system and the drain plug on the engine block has this indented square as the nut... Like on the front diff drain plug.... But this is smaller than the diff. drain plug. On the diff i use a ratchet......but neither of the ratchet sizez fit this drain plug.... i havnt ever seen any tools like that.....i went to kregans....didnt have nething like it. So anyways my question is what am i supposed to use on it? thanks

You're far enough away that I'm probably safe telling you to use a Renault LeCar oil drain spanner.

Seriously -- I think that's what it takes. I believe that plug is set up for a metric square drive, and the old Renault oil drain wrench happens to fit. Also fits my Peugeot 5-speed tranny. Makes me glad I didn't toss the thing years ago.

Stick some clay in there and pull it back out to get a ballpark of the size, then go get an adapter 3/8>1/2 and see if the 3/8" end is a bit too big, if so grind it down to fit.

Well, I was gearing up to ask that myself, so I'm glad there's already an answer...

If you need a "quick and dirty" tool, you can get an 8mm hex wrench and grind a pair of opposing corners down to make it sorta square. Get the wrench for less than $2, and it's quicker to grind down the flats than it is to grind a 3/8" square down - I found this out when I had to make a drain plug wrench for the damn Peugeot...

5-90

I ground down the end of a bolt to fit my Pugeot drain plug... the cheapo chinese socket adapter I tried broke right in half when I applied torque to it after grinding it down.

while we are on subject, how are those prestone hose t-fitting systems. i think they hook up to the heater system to a water hose and alow you to kinda pressure clean it ?

Pete

jeepsrock said:
while we are on subject, how are those prestone hose t-fitting systems. i think they hook up to the heater system to a water hose and alow you to kinda pressure clean it ?

Pete

I installed one in my '97, it is nothing to write home about. I prefer to just keep my eyes peeled for a coupon to the local quick lube and have them flush it with their machine. I just stand by and look over their shoulders during the procedure. I do most of my own work, but some things I just don't feel like getting messy with anymore, coolant being one of them.

Lawn Cher' said:
I installed one in my '97, it is nothing to write home about. I prefer to just keep my eyes peeled for a coupon to the local quick lube and have them flush it with their machine. I just stand by and look over their shoulders during the procedure. I do most of my own work, but some things I just don't feel like getting messy with anymore, coolant being one of them.

Geetting soft in your old age, huh ?

red91inWA said:
Geetting soft in your old age, huh ?

Yeah... I gotta figure that my time is worth something too these days.

Lawn Cher' said:
Yeah... I gotta figure that my time is worth something too these days.

so let me get this strait....

1.) you want to save time, and take it to the quicky fix place.
2.) some minimal wage, white guy, flushes your system.
3.) You wait an hour to have it done.
4.) you pay them $50.00.

So if you burnt an hour waiting, AND paid them....what is your time worth ???

Come over to my place. I'm gonna do my lift in about a month. Your time is right in my price range :D

Yucca-Man said:
x2...drain the radiator but leave that one alone if it's not leaking.

Hey i drained the radiator like 2 months ago but the "water/antifreeze" when i filled it back up again was more like someone took a crap in it. So i wanted to get everything out and flush it This is a good idea right? haha thanks guys.

Soo some people say dont touch it ,,, but why not? just wondering

I've never had any trouble removing the block drains. They are a pipe thread, so use some pipe sealant when reinstalling and you should be fine. Don't overtighten them either, it just needs to be snug. Not sure what problem people have had.

hangubus said:

Difficult to get to
Difficult to get out
Very likely to break, strip, etc.
If you get it out OK, (highly doubtful), there is a good chance of leaks afterwards.

To me, the risk is not worth it, especially on older/higher mile engines. I'd prefer to have her flushed at a radiator place, or do a couple of drain/refill cycles at home.

There is a tool for that plug, mentioned on this Forum, sometime ago. I don't have the link.

Good luck ... Maz

I use the Prestone t-thing on my '98 and its held up fine for 3 years, replaced it again just as a precautionary measure.

Also cranked up the oil burner high setting past the thermostat open point, and flushed it with a garden hose connected directly to my garage slop sink, hot water tap open only.

I think that made all the difference in the world, the thermostat is never going to open with cold water flowing through the system, at least that's my logic. Since then, every yearly flush has been very clean and maybe totally unnecessary.

Feel free to critique my logic, I'm often wrong:banghead:

Ya i never understood how those t-things work when the thermostat is gonna be closed and not allow water to go thru, thats why i asked. MAkes no sense- the water is pretty much pushed thru the heater lines into the heater core and to the water pump. THe water pump is connected to the block and radiator right ? THe block gets filled with water and air and the rest goes to the radiator where you drain it from ?

How does this help ? I dont get it ?

Pete

hangubus said:
Hey i drained the radiator like 2 months ago but the "water/antifreeze" when i filled it back up again was more like someone took a crap in it. So i wanted to get everything out and flush it This is a good idea right? haha thanks guys.

Why, when you saw the coolant looking that way, did you put it back in? ANYTIME I see coolant that is ANY color but green (or yellow), I immediately make plans to flush and NOT return that crud back to my cooling system.

Of course, I live in Phoenix, where the cooling system gets tested to the MAX, so I don't need ANY surprises.

Back