• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch wiring

ibjeepin821

NAXJA Forum User
hello all once again i just put a hitch on but I cant figure out the wiring for the harness. I tried to look online and find what wires go where but I cant get the turn signals or brake lights to work.....if anyone knows what wires go where can you please help me out??? its an 89 cherokee pioneer thanks!!

You need an adapter with a logic circuit built into it. This was discussed recently and I believe someone posted the part number for a Hoppy universal adapter that works for the older XJs. They offer a Cherokee specific one but that's only for the 91 and newes. Apparently Chrysler revised the wiring in 1991.

The factory had an adapter, but I don't believe it is available any longer, and if your vehicle didn't come with a tow prep package it won't have the junction where the factory adapter plugs in anyway.

go to napa and get a wiring harness they're $15. take off your tail lights and splice the wire into the coordinating wires. it's best if you use the clamping style splicers, it's less messy.

I went to a local boating store and the had the adapter. It plugged inline inside the left part of rear. I had to pull spare tire out, etc but it just snapped right in.

ibjeepin821,

I added a Uhaul hitch to my 1989 Pioneer and used the recommended converter. I mounted it in the well behind the drivers side tail light. It was a while back but I believe the converter was required to convert the Jeep 5 wire system to the typical 4 wire system that most trailers use.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

do u have a pic of what the adapter snapped into?

my panel is off and i see the adapters but i cant find an empty one and i dont think mine's wired already

Back