• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlamp main beam problem

steep89

NAXJA Forum User
I've just bought a 1994 Sport - I6, AW4, NP242.

Problem I have is this - the headlamp main beams won't stay on. All the other lights work fine. The main beam flash works fine. But when I pull the stalk towards me, the main beams don't stay on.

The switch works fine and all the wiring looks good. I did notice that there was no headlamp delay module installed, so I grabbed a spare one in from my '89 parts XJ and put that in.

Now when pulled on the stalk switch, the module made a horrible buzzing noise and the lights still didn't come on. When I turned the main beams off, the buzzing noise stops.

Questions:
Does a module from an '89 work in a '94?
Can the headlamp delay module affect the operation of the main beams?
If not, any idea what else this could be?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received. :)

Steve

When you say "main" beams, do you mean you have no headlights at all, or just no high beams?

The delay module should not affact that. Sounds like you need a dimmer switch.

go get a whole new ( used ) switch. Had that problem. Replaced the switch and all good.

Just because it works on EVERYTHING else doesn't make it good.

After posting this I went out and pulled the switch from my '89 - the one that's loctated down the steering column. Same problem.

Plus, the fact that the headlamp delay module only buzzed when the switch was in the on position suggests to me that the switches are fine.

To clarify, I am talking about the high beams. I can flash the high beams, I just can't get them to stay on.

Thanks for your help so far.

Steve

Back