• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticking lifter

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have another problem with my 93 4.0. Sometimes when I start it a lifter sticks, I assume since it taps real loud. It's actually lifter tap and not the diesel sound, it does that too. :) If I rev it for a second it unsticks and is fine. Then sometimes at idle it will fade in and out as in tap for a second and then not tap. I was thinking about trying seafoam but I'm afraid of knocking some build up loose and causing more problems. Also, would a flush cause the gaskets to leak? Would a flush help or should I just bite the bullet and replace the lifters?

Thanks
Mike Harris

A good flush should cause you no problems - although I've got more experience using Marvel Mystery Oil, and have never used Seafoam (but many here seem to like it.)

In your case, I'd do the next oil change with five quarts of good oil and one quart of MMO, and run normally. Change the oil after the noise goes away to get out any dislodged crap, and you should be fine. If it doesn't go away, you're probably really crapped up and repeat.

Failing that, it may be time to change the lifters - but the flush is far easier. One of my principal complaints with the 242 is the need to pull the head to change the lifters - which was neatly addressed with the aftermarket head that has come out.

If you have access to Seafoam, I can't think of any reason to not use it - like I said, I just haven't used it myself (Marvel is easier for me to get.)

5-90

I used to have an occasional sticking lifter, especially upon a cold startup. (And you're right, it's a really LOUD tap.) A couple of frequent oil changes solved it.

I was considering 5-90's Marvel Mystery Oil; it's one of the few additives that really work. I wouldn't replace the lifters for such a minor problem.

Back