• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer drop, not what your expecting

cjwalkeriii

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so here's the deal. I made a homebrew 3/4 drop for my tc. Now here's the problem. Both studs came out fine, the passenger bolt came out, but the drivers side bolt snapped , and it didn't take a lot. So I drilled, and I tapped, but when I did I don't think I went through straight. The point is, the bolt is in, but it's not to the strength that it should be (slight wobble on entry). So i have 3 strong, opne half strong I have to make a 300k trip tommorow, and i'm short on time. Would you guy's worry?!?!?!.

cjwalkeriii said:
OK, so here's the deal. I made a homebrew 3/4 drop for my tc. Now here's the problem. Both studs came out fine, the passenger bolt came out, but the drivers side bolt snapped , and it didn't take a lot. So I drilled, and I tapped, but when I did I don't think I went through straight. The point is, the bolt is in, but it's not to the strength that it should be (slight wobble on entry). So i have 3 strong, opne half strong I have to make a 300k trip tommorow, and i'm short on time. Would you guy's worry?!?!?!.

Drill it again and tap it for one size bigger. Also make sure to use the right sized bit for the right sized tap.

I guess I could retap to a bigger size. The problem with that is I also have to drill 3/4 of solid steel. And the bit i used was a 11/32 for a 10 1.5. Do you think it's safe for highway driving? tia

If you have a welder, just run a small bead on that one side where the bolt went... I did this temporarily when I broke two of the studs on my crossmember trying to get them out. Works fine and holds it in place until you can properly fix it. Just grind the welds off when you need to take the crossmember off next time.

creeperjeep said:
just fix it when you get around to it

thats exactly why you should never buy a used jeep from someone who wrenches their own junk. :repair:

if your trip is just a one day ting and you arent planning to wheel it or beat it hard it "should" be ok.. take some extra tools with you as well as a larger tap and a cordless drill just in case.

cjwalkeriii said:
I have to make a 300k trip tommorow

?

that part confuses me...

i broke a bolt off in there, and drilled and taped and heli-coiled it... i can get mine nice and snug and dont worry about it...

you said you used a standard tap and a metric bolt? why? just get a standard bolt and put it in there if that is what the threads are...

go back to metric later if you really feel the need...

Back