• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys In-Cab Rollover Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything's better than none, but you get what you pay for, and this is cheap.

It's almost 1/8" wall, so it's somthing, but I too have looked at this and not bought it because of the "show bar" thing. I doubt you can find one that says "this will save your life" though.

ya they put that there for insurance reasons.it has no support for side impact.there is no crossbrace .they know it will fold right over on a side roll.

i've got one in my 98 and it seems pretty substantial. kinda worthless by itself but you could eventually tie in a cage to it on the inside. it bolts to the floor and your seat belt hangers if that gives you a clue on its side strength

It takes alot of nerve to sell one bent piece of tubing for $220. (not a bust on Rusty, I'm just saying......)

It was said earlier that something's better than nothing.
Well, that's just plain crazy talk.

If someone were to put that show bar in their XJ, perhaps it would give them piece of mind.
Perhaps they would try more dangerous lines, thinking they will be protected.
Wrongo......

While the thing is tied into the upper seatbelt mount, I agree that in a significant side roll, it would fold into a more compact size.

My advice is to put that $220 towards at least a 6 point cage.
There are a few on the market, for under $500, that have proven to be a solid starting point for a really nice cage.

okay thanks for the advice, what do you think of the Tennessee Offroad full internal cage? anybody got a good link or pictures? the tor web site only has 1 picture, and im looking for more. thx.

trekfuel80 said:
haha, i read right over that, haha

thats dumb, why the hell whould they write that. or even sell it, if they are not for use.

Because of...

"My 17 year old son was driving drunk and plowed off an 80 ft. cliff and your product didn't save him!"

...lawsuits.

-r0

No company is allowed by their insurance companies to sell products like this without that disclaimer. Lawsuits are way too common these days, and shut down many businesses all the time. 0.120" wall tubing is plenty in the event of a roll over. The reason they offer this cage is to help protect you in the things you do now, not giving you the mindset of "I got a cage, let's try that!"
Use common sense, buy it, use your brain, and live if it happens. The only way they could sell this as an actual "roll cage" is if they welded it in themselves. That ain't happening.

If you are worried about rollovers I would save your money and buy a 5 piont saftey harness. IMHO the Cherokee's body itself should be able to keep its form in a roll over. I really don't think the body structure is going to fail during a roll over while offroading. Must roll overs that happen while offroading happen at slow speeds. Yeah if you drive it off a cliff the body structure might fail but I really don't think that piece of bent tube would help much either.

NHscrambler said:
If you are worried about rollovers I would save your money and buy a 5 piont saftey harness. IMHO the Cherokee's body itself should be able to keep its form in a roll over. I really don't think the body structure is going to fail during a roll over while offroading. Must roll overs that happen while offroading happen at slow speeds. Yeah if you drive it off a cliff the body structure might fail but I really don't think that piece of bent tube would help much either.
Disregard that post.

This dude sounds like another guy on POR in a WJ roll cage thread.
He was way wrong too.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357116

Trust me, money on a GOOD CAGE is well spent.

Ditto to ignoring the advice that the body is good enough.

Luckily I was not in my Rubicon when it decided to pop out of park and roll away. It left the road at a nice slow speed and the first roll was nice and soft. The second roll was a bit harder. Then it came up on it's tires and shot over a 10 foot drop, ripping out a small tree as it landed. Came down on it's tires and then shot another 10 foot drop, went a bit further and went over a 15 fot drop. Then it finally hit a tree large enough to stop it, but it wasn't a square hit, it was a clip on the front right corner so the jeep twisted and summer-saulted 5 times before coming to rest on it's side 90 feet from the tree.

While the body was beat to crap, my upgraded roll cage, rock rails, and bumpers protected the passenger area and the engine bay. If the frame hadn't folded and punctured the oil filter when it hit the tree the Jeep would have run, and I was able to use my own winch to help with the recovery. Passengers would have been shaken very badly, but would have survived. A stock TJ would not have survived and a Cherokee would not have either. Both vehicles would have crushed the sides and roof far enough to injure passengers.

I do not have a cage in my XJ yet, but believe me, it's a priority.

NHscrambler said:
If you are worried about rollovers I would save your money and buy a 5 piont saftey harness. IMHO the Cherokee's body itself should be able to keep its form in a roll over. I really don't think the body structure is going to fail during a roll over while offroading. Most roll overs that happen while offroading happen at slow speeds.

Not trying to knock ya, but.

For one, there isn't a spot to put the inboard sholder straps.

For two, in a place where there could be multiple rolls, or a hard hit on the top, it wouldn't be good to be strapped in sitting up right. Don't do a harness without a cage.

I wouldn't take the chance that I'd be one of the other rolls instead of hoping that I was in the "most" roll.

NHscrambler said:
Yeah if you drive it off a cliff the body structure might fail but I really don't think that piece of bent tube would help much either.

That part is true.

Daryl

EDIT: the story the came in from Chris S while I was typing is just what I meant. A "slow roll" doesn't always end that way.

P.S. Chris S, sad story, glad everyone was out of the vehicle.

Last edited:
no that hoop is not designed for offroading. but allthough overpriced, it DOES have a viable purpose. yes, if you roll it offroad, it will probably be on terrain that will not stop it the first time, and it will roll again. such as a side of a hill.
BUT i think it's a good idea for a soccer-mom type stock vehicle. i have seen about a dozen or so crushed xj's in my local boneyard. i used them to help me do my cage. in all but 1 of them, this tied-in bar woulda prevented the roof from caving in. like as a supplement to help the unibody retain basic shape; if crushed in, it would lose the structural integrity much like a soda can, and fold in like a taco the rest of the way. so no it's not for offroading, but i think JEEP should of offered a version of this as an option. ii know it certainly woulda prevented some deaths in accidents.

Hey everyone...

I rolled my 88 xj on black ice on the road,and flipped it on to the roof.The roff came clear down to the headrest.

I now have rustys show bar in my 96,and it would prevent that much crushing.It's nice having it there,in my opinion.

Since I already have it,it's no problem to make it stronger. I bought this when it first came out,and at that time there were almost no cages or bars available.

Now,I would invest in a better cage/bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back