• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pepto Bismol in t-case

Bradlybob

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my t-case seal last night and noticed my 242 t-case oil was contaminated with water. That's odd because I haven't been in the water or near the water for years. I haven't driven maybe 1000 miles this year and like I said no water at all. My question is where the heck could the water come from? My vent tube is intact and everything looks OK. Stupid question, but what the heck. The only thing I can figure is that water somehow ran down the vent tube while the thing was sitting in the rain, but I have no hood vents so there is no water under the hood.

Sounds like condensation to me also, the tranny and transfer cases, like the engine, also cook off moisture, only over a longer period of time but with only a 1000mi a year you are probably not getting it all out. I doubt you got all the water out by changing it either, the case is probably full of droplets. Might want to consider heating it up while it's open and unfilled, maybe an electric radiant heater facing up for a couple of hours to get the case good an warm on a dry day. Or if you can use reflected sunlight off a strategically placed mirror for an afternoon..

How about driving it!

Go out on th highway and drive for a couple of hours. Then change out your fluid. Should be better after that, and for God's sake man drive you XJ there ain't nutten better than driving an XJ.

Wow, I didn't even think about condensation! I know, I should be driving it more, but with gas at $2.30 plus here in Kalifornia the lure of my wifes old Cavalier with it's 30 MPG has made me a sinner! Now that the Chev is down with a head gasket leak the Jeep will be on the road daily again. I'll drive it around for a while until everything gets warmed up good and change the oil again.
Thanks

Back