• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New vs. Reman

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if there are any major differances between a "NEW" water pump and a reman water pump... There is about a $20 difference in the price... Or should I just add $100 and spring for the NEW Hesco unit?? I dont have any cooling problems now I am just rebuilding my Renix into an HO and I am replacing everything I can now...

Thanks
Chris

i will tell you what new and reman means, new... is new.. can't beat that... reman is shit, unless you do it yourself...and trust it 100%
i have purchased few things from ebay that were reman, all of these were crap, latest, red holley fuel pump for my racing car, ... guess what? it looks like new, works fine! but.... LEAKS!!! :p spend the money, get new, or do it yourself...

It depends

I would rather have a Dealer or Cardone or top quality reman part with an OEM core then some cheap sleezy tawain 100% new brand.... ie GMB or ASC Now with that said.. i would ultimetly rather have an OE or Airtex/Napa 100% new pump

wilcharl said:
It depends

I would rather have a Dealer or Cardone or top quality reman part with an OEM core then some cheap sleezy tawain 100% new brand.... ie GMB or ASC Now with that said.. i would ultimetly rather have an OE or Airtex/Napa 100% new pump
X2

I believe that the Mopar remans have a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty on them.

Hesco has some good stuff, but VERY pricey. The OEM water pump does the job just fine. This is one of those items I go to the dealer for.

When I had the timing belt replaced on my 96 Ford Contour, I also replaced the water pump while it was accesable. The guy at my local NAPA recomended a new one instead of a rebuilt one. The new ones had less problems leaking. In the 4-banger in the Contour its a major problem replacing it, so it made sense to spend the money. On the Jeep, its not to big of a deal, but $20 isn't all that much. I also hear the same thing on brake components, to buy new and not rebuilt.
Tom

The Napa 100% new is an Airtex/Master pump very good (I LIKE THEM) but the autozoo/advance 100%news are GMB/ASC BAD :-(

as for water pumps and braking componets I always use new from the dealer unless i have no option. I just want as little problems as possible on vital stuff. Now a interesting fact I learned was with starters and altenators get bendix brand remanufactured ones if possible, they are new except the outer case

Ask me how much money in damage a reman water pump did to a customer's Ford Diesel pickup when the hub came loose and went through the radiator!

CSaddict said:
Ask me how much money in damage a reman water pump did to a customer's Ford Diesel pickup when the hub came loose and went through the radiator!

if it was a new radiator, and had ac ? About $1500.00 is my guess.

CSaddict said:

all together now: How much damage?

Also just a questioned that popped into my head... do we have the kind of water pumps that weep when they need to be changed?

I don't think I've ever seen a water pump for any sort of IC engine that didn't have the "weep hole" for when the shaft seal lets go. Easiest way to check - look for a small (<1/4") hole on the bottom of the nose, as mounted.

I used to use TRW pumps exclusively, when I could find them. Failing that I'll get a new pump (NOT China - Taiwan isn't toobad, but you can do better. Japan can be used safely) or A1C reman. OEM usually costs too damn much, and I try to avoid dealer parts for something I can find somewhere else without screwing myself on quality.

Oh - got y'all beat. Guess how much damage I did to a Dodge 1-ton van when I went thru the grille? I got hit from behind on Lockheed Way in Sunnyvale while on my bicycle. At the time - 6'3", about 270#, and <10% body fat (fighting weight...)

Total damage to me? I needed a new uniform and a new right crank for my bicycle. The rear wheel needed truing. Total? About $75 all up at the time (1990) I was a little sore for a day, but nothing serious went wrong with me.

5-90

490Chaser said:
all together now: How much damage?

Also just a questioned that popped into my head... do we have the kind of water pumps that weep when they need to be changed?

Back