• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest way to make an ARB Lockup?

Recently installed the new style ARB in a D30 for mly 98 XJ. The ARB recommends a pressure of 60-90 psi, but it only requires a very small amount of CFM to actuate and release.
I have a Viair 400 mounted under the drivers seat, a 75 psi pressure switch along with a 1 gal accumulator mounted where the factory spare tire used to be. The compressor runs only when initially pressurizing the tank and it does not run unless I am airing up the tires.
Works well for me.

you can test ARB installs with a bike-pump --- not sure that's something I'd recommend for trail use though...

I kinda like the 85psi range for pressure, but the volume requirements are VERY low - as posted above --

I'd bet that a good airtight plumbing job could run off of an aired-up mountain bike tire for several engagements...
... and you could fill the tire with a hand pump when it's pressure dropped lower than you felt comfortable with.

That'd be cheap...

run a line out under the hood and put a dohickey thing that has a pipe fitting on one end and a tire air on the other, "airator" i think. air up for lock air out for unlock.

I have been considering the same option. I have a small tank and a 12volt truck compressor that plugs in to the lighter socket. It pumps pretty good and as many times as we tend to pause on the trail it should be easy to just plug it in and maintain pressure.

Have you decided what OBA solution to use? I am considering the PowerTank manifold for CO2, but I have heard much feedback, + or -.

Jeff

Power Tank too expensive, I like the CO2 idea. Goto Ebay, get a 10 or 20# aluminium CO2 cylinder, for under $100, $30 Habor Freight CO2 Regulator, $10 Habor freight hose and fittings. Should cost you less than $150 and you get the same thing as a power tank.

Another option, get a 1000 watt 12vdc/AC converter $60-100, $80 Habor freight 2hp 2gal AC compressor. Use it on the trail or at home. May be bulkly, but it has everything you need, 115 psi and all the switches. YOu could probably pull it apart and hard mount it to fit better, too.

The standard is two 12v compressors tied in with a tank.

Then of course the York, powered off the engine.

There are others and variations there of, right now I'm trying to decide on a rear locker. I want to go ARB, but It's still quite expensive, I have a line on one, but I will not know until Sunday.

I plan to run one ARB up front. I like the idea of using a tiny compressor under the hood for the locker, and a portable 12v or 115v (I haven't decided yet) for tires and misc. air.

XJCHUCK72 said:
I know it would be a bit of a PITA, but you could run a small tank to presurize and a dryer. I thought the same thing, I used ZPD's a couple of times and it does frost over.
Chuck, don't forget it only frosts over when there is a lot of volume going through it. And it is only on the outside because it is just condensation that is frosting up. The gas is dry and with the small volume of air needed for an ARB frosting would not be an issue.

Thanks for the imput. I'm leaning toward the CO2 route. The way things have been working out it'll probably be a while before I get the darn ARB installed anyway so I have time to mule over the decision.

Jeff

You can get a 20# cylinder used for "coke fountains" at most any airgas or welding supply house...it's kind of bulky and weighs quite a bit..but if you have no leaks..it will last forever almost..

What I would recommend would be a 2 or 2.5# cylinder...be sure to get a piston type regulator...they are less failure prone than the diaphragm type regs...Co2 isn't real good for airing up tires...pressure quickly builds as the tire gets warm.

Nitrogen would be best..has a low coefficient of expansion..either gas would be better than air straight from the compressor...moisture and dirt are the culprits...and it will eventually damage the pneumatic components.

air pressure!

Just as a note, make sure that whatever air source is used it must be regulated to the specified pressures, premature failure of the actuator/ premature disenguagement of the locker could result. ARB's are Expensive and even more so when you have to install them twice.

Good luck,

me

My ARB compressor went south during a trail run; we cludged together a portable air tank with some fittings. Ran the locker on and off the whole next day and used about a third of a 5 gallon tank of air. If you only need to power the locker, you don't need much air.

Back