• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No, Not Cooling Again...

ROCKWGN

NAXJA Forum User
No, Not Cooling Problems Again...

I just replaced my water pump, thermostat, and hoses. Flushed the engine by putting pressure hose in water pump housing holes and thermostat galleys. Coolant is 50-50 anti and distilled. Ran great below 210F for about a month. Now around town seem to keep pretty cool, just above the 210F mark. On the freeway it is getting up to 230F - 240F, when i get off the freeway it seems to cool down to about the 210+ mark again. The fan clutch seems fine. I have a 1995 XJ open system. I have a GDI 3 row in it with about 30,000 to 35,000 miles on it, never been cleaned or rodded. I feel this may be the first place to look. If this radiator is now junk, where are you guys getting the Modine 2 row and the GDIs these days? And what is the best way to flush the block before I reinstall the radiator? Flush the block now with the current radiator on, then remove the radiator and have it cleaned and rodded.
Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:
High temps on the highway, low temps around time or at idle usually indicates partial blockage somewhere. The radiator is most suspect though I wouldn't think it would be since you've got fairly low miles on the GDI. There are cases of bad GDI's though mine has been great the past 6 years and about 100k miles. Pull the radiator and take it to a reputable shop and have it inspected.

ACE said:
High temps on the highway, low temps around time or at idle usually indicates partial blockage somewhere. The radiator is most suspect...

There are cases of bad GDI's... Pull the radiator and take it to a reputable shop and have it inspected.
That's my recommendation, too. I won't buy a GDI 3-row now after hearing too many stories of them clogging up. Of course, there are exceptions to nearly everything.

i have to agree with these guys. rolling down the highway and heating up is a sure sign of blockage.(personal experience) Sorry I don't know more about your radiator. 35k doesn't seem like that much but....... it is on a jeep.

Replace the fan clutch. It's easier and cheaper than replacing the rad by guessing that it is clogged. If it's the original 1995 fan clutch, I'd replace it anyways just for peace of mind.

Personal experience on a old jetta I owned once. Bugs in the AC condensor! Same story, fine around town, overheated on the highway. After replacing head gasket (diesel) it got even hotter :-( So while cleaning the oil off it after the maiden run with the new gasket I hit the condensor/radiator with my pressure washer. TEN BILLION BUG BODIES started coming out that were previously hidden! After that my problem was it had trouble warming up! LOL But as another suggested, replace the fan clutch, just make sure they give you the correct one! If it does not say REVERSE rotation or CCW then it's most likely the wrong one, at least for a 96.

JoBo

Well I pulled the radiator and it was 75% plugged, had it rodded and tested, replaced the thermostat with a 185F. Refilled 50/50 mix distilled. Temp now will not get to the 210F mark. :) I'm a happy camper...Thanks for all your posts.

210 is fine for the 4.0L - that's the temp at which it was intended to operate.

ROCKWGN said:
Well I pulled the radiator and it was 75% plugged, had it rodded and tested, replaced the thermostat with a 185F. Refilled 50/50 mix distilled. Temp now will not get to the 210F mark. :) I'm a happy camper...Thanks for all your posts.

What bothers me is that it packed up at 30,000mi, shouldn't oughta happen, not at 30K. my factory 98 has over 255,000mi on it and other than a once yearly or every other year coolant change it runs fine. Probably going to start putting my money away for one of those griffins :D

Back