• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headliner: removing dome lights??

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
Tried to search, but we don't really get along too well. So i need to replace my headliner but cant figure out how to remove my domelights... THERE'S NO SCREWS OR ANYTHING. It baffled me. Any help would be freakin sweet!! Thanks ya'll.

there is this wacky little washer type deal, with little fingers that come off into the center that grip a little stud.... descriptive i know... gimme a second and ill draw you a picture.

5155ww

the little clip type thing looks like that. you just pry it off with a screwdriver.... make sure there is no power the the light first ;)

jeepinxj05 said:
Tried to search, but we don't really get along too well. So i need to replace my headliner but cant figure out how to remove my domelights... THERE'S NO SCREWS OR ANYTHING. It baffled me. Any help would be freakin sweet!! Thanks ya'll.

Heres a tip of mine. Make a pair of "neutered pliers". Get some small, maybe needle-nose, cheapo made in China pliers like in the 99cent bucket at the autopart store. Grind off the teeth. Wrap the pinchers with tape such as a little electrical or duct tape also works. Gaffers tape is the best if you can find it. Now, you have pliers that don't mess up fragile plastic or soft metal parts. I used these to take off the dome light.

94XJ4x4 said:
5155ww

the little clip type thing looks like that. you just pry it off with a screwdriver.... make sure there is no power the the light first ;)
Is there a source for those things (at a reasonable price) if you *do* screw 'em up? My rear light keeps falling off...

Yucca-Man said:
Is there a source for those things (at a reasonable price) if you *do* screw 'em up? My rear light keeps falling off...

My local Lowes & Home Depot actually has a decent hardware section including a small section of auto fastners such as that washer, panel clips, etc. Looks like your closer to the Depot.

BskisXJ said:
My local Lowes & Home Depot actually has a decent hardware section
As many times as I recommend ACE for other fasteners I didn't even think of it until that comment. They're called 'pushnuts' and cost a whopping $0.07...luckily i was able to dig a gunk-encrusted quarter out of the center console and bought two of them critters...

Back