• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made t-case drop question

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a length of 1" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" thk rectangular tube laying around that I was thinking of using to make a t-case drop. Has anyone used something with this thin a wall for thier t-case drop? I'd prefer to use 1/8" thk but 1/16" is what's here :(

Any thoughts, experiences, etc?

i think that should be enough... i would use washers too..same size as the tubing... just put it on and see what happens... dont drive too far though... but square tubing is cheap, get some 1/8 and be safe:)

I did once use something like that and placed two beside each other as you want around 2" of width anyway to support the crossmember. It also allows the bolts to pass through really close the the wall which is now stronger as you will have two beside each other in the middle. Look on my site for the write up on making them.
www.go.jeep-xj.info

1/16" is pretty darn thin. 1/8" sounds about right. 1" solid aluminum is the best thing.

The weight of the engine/trans/TC is all on the bolts, so it would probably work. I would be worried about crushing the tube if you land on the crossmember though.

Back