• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear install

righteyejoe

NAXJA Forum User
im not asking which gears to run. ive alread read through all the other threads and figured out which gears to run i was wondering if any of you had put the gears in yourself or is it worth taking somewhere?

first set of gears will prolly run ya about the same
as getting um done by a pro

long list of tools involved
compressor , HD air gun, set up bearings etc.
also very time consuming Ive heard of 8 hrs for the first set ya ever do

I myself would rather invest the money Iwould pay for the shop in my own tools

but then again I just found a guy in town that will set up gears for $100 a apiece

usally they want about 250 a piece

if you plan to do it more than once in yoiur life then I would say go for it

The tools (to do it properly) are kinda pricy, especially the good torque wrenches like a SnapOn TE3A to check pinion drag, and another one to set the caps.

You need a way of getting the bearings on & off the carrier... When I did my last set moons ago, I used my cheap shop press, and a (borrowed from NAPA) 8"x8" 'gilliotine' bearing popper. I wish I had setup bearings when I did mine. Next time...

VegasAnthony said:
long list of tools involved
compressor , HD air gun, set up bearings etc.
also very time consuming Ive heard of 8 hrs for the first set ya ever do

Hell I used to average 9 hrs to do front/ rear on a Jeep, on a lift, and I've done a ton of them.

are there any other special tools other than hand tools needed? because im lucky to have a brother in law that is/was a mechanic with a very nice tool set and if he doesnt have a tool he can go to a local dealership and borrow it i just didnt know how difficult it was to get the spacing and all the little stuff like that right

It's not so much difficult, it's time consuming (repetitive between coarse & precision work) and one has to stay on the ball with it... I fully understand why some folks pay other folks to do theirs.

It's a lot like a slot machine... One more cherry and... D'oh take it back apart & shuffle shims. Both the ones I did were Dana's, the 8.25 preload sets up with a special tool.

Um.... No offense, but I would say that if you're not even sure if the same gears need to go in the front and the rear (yes, they do) then you're probably not ready to do your own gear install. It needs to be done just right. Get in a hurry, get impatient, read the pattern wrong, and your gears are going to grenade pretty quickly.

Either have it done by a professional, or enlist the aid of someone who has done it before to walk you through the first time.

i meant the front and rear to make sure no 1 has run differnt gears front an rear for some reason but im willing to put in the time if needed im glad for every1s input i still havent decided to drive up there and have them do it or drop the axles and go for it.

You need to run the same GEAR RATIO front and rear unless you (for some reason - and there ARE some) plan to run two different tire diameters front and rear...

woody said:
You need to run the same GEAR RATIO front and rear unless you (for some reason - and there ARE some) plan to run two different tire diameters front and rear...
Thats what the cool kids do...

if you ran a higher ration in the front and a lower in the back you could expand your wheelbase :laugh3:

Back