• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Replacement

formatt

NAXJA Forum User
finally finished my rocker replacement this weekend. Built it out of 3"x4"x3/16" rec tube. I also sealed off the ends in case i decide to use them for air tanks later down the road.. i doubt it though.

rocker_00.JPG

rocker_01.JPG

rocker_02.JPG

rocker_03.JPG

rocker_04.JPG

rocker_05.JPG

rocker_06.JPG

I've got a little cleanup to do yet on the inner fenders and trim up the flares more but nothing that won't take about 30 mins with a cutt-off wheel, Dremmel and a flapper disc.

Overall, I'm super happy with how they turned out. I can't think of anything I'd do different if I were to do it again. I still may add some 1.5" OD tube to the outside to help keep me away from rocks but that might be a little ways down the road.

no... I've got 2"x2" spacers on top that you can't see to keep it from folding under as well as welding the hell out of the back with plug welds every 6"... it's going absolutely nowhere.

yeah, i have a few more pics but they don't really show anything that isn't shown already.

vegeta... not sure what you're looking for exactly.. a plug weld is a plug weld when doing these. I drilled a 3/8" hole, 6" on center from front to back, placed the rocker in place, used several 6" C-clamps to suck it right up next to the pinch seam, welded all the way down the bottom side using a back and forth stitching (vertical) and finally filled all of those plugs all the way down.

it definitely takes a long time to weld... plan on blowing through more than once until you get the hang of how fast you should be going. When you blow through, they'll only be 1/8" holes (if that big) so it's not too tough to fix.

Looks great formatt!

Not to knock what formatt did but, there other similar fabs that you can do. I don't know how to link it but if you go to MADXJ.com or, google search it, and then go to "all madxj techinical articals'' and then to "rocker panels" you will find these other options with some detail and pics that you will have to figure out as you go along. Overall, I thought these articals were very helpful.

I did the serious high clearance rocker with 2x6 3/16 tubing and alot of cutting. I am very pleased with the functionality of these. They stick out far enough that you don't have to add tubing such as what formatt suggested. They are very strong and they do not hang and have alot of clearance.

I already had the doors off and the rig is mainly a trail only except when I get a wild hair and I feel like driving it on the street. So this is the option I chose. I do not recomend making air tanks out of these unless you are a very skilled welder and you can make it air tight. I tried, it was difficult to do and I ultamately gave up on that idea. Another draw back is that you have to cut the bottom of your doors to get them back on which I have not done yet (it is hot here in Texas so, I am not in much of a hurry).

You can also modify these options. For instance, formatt mentioned adding tubing to the outside of his sliders/rockers to get away from trees and rocks. You could modify that idea and go with 2x6 tubing and that would extend out far enough to protect the body from rocks, trees, etc. Kind of a cross between what i did and formatt's fabrication. Good luck with whatever option you chose and post later how they turned out.

67jm9t.jpg
67jmfa.jpg
67jmkk.jpg
67jmn4.jpg

Last edited:
formatt said:
I can't think of anything I'd do different if I were to do it again. I still may add some 1.5" OD tube to the outside to help keep me away from rocks but that might be a little ways down the road.

Looks nice, matt. Same thing I did with mine, except I used 3x6 tubing for the width. 6" wide skidplates on the sides, essentially. ;) Stronger than hell and seems to have stiffened things up a bit.

hey thanks guys.

after finally being able to wheel a bunch as of lately for reasons I'd rather not get into....... :)

the rockers have taken some beatings and held up perfectly! Ecksjay, i definitely think you're right in saying that they stiffened things up slightly. Between my frame stiffeners and the 3x4 rockers, i hear a lot more creaking in the rear hatch area. i'm *hoping* to have that addressed early this weekend.

As soon as these things wear out / fall off, I'm going boatsides. my buddy Jon in Brighton, has had them on his XJ/buggy for a little while now and after seeing them perform at Buena Vista Carnage, I'm convinced that's the way to go.

Formatt,
This is one of the best ideas I have seen!!! :) I really like it!!!

Could you supply some pics from underneath and inside along the back, near the seam where you stitch welded it in place.

You also mention needing a 2x2 spacer...where did you need that and do you have any pics showing where you put them?

I am considering it, They say duplication is one of the highest forms of flatery...;) ;) Hope you dont mind :)

Thanks!
CW

Last edited:
Hi CW...

No way, I definitely don't mind... If you have any questions regarding anything here, please feel free to contact me directly: [email protected]

Lets see, I'll need to grab some pics of the pinch seam weld but it's not really going to show anything other than some welds. Once you place your 3x4 up there, it's completely self explanitory. Just take your time and it'll turn out great.

When I cut the rocker out with a cutoff wheel, I cut about 1/8" away from the edge of the seam then used a flapper disc to grind the rest of that 1/8" off so I was flush with the front surface of the pinch seam. I then used a 3/8" drillbit to drilled holes in the seam every 6"-8" so I'd have a place to plug weld for added security. I added extra holes near the ends at about 4" on center just because.

2x2 spacers: Just get something thin... All they're used for is spacing. I used (5) 4" pieces on the top of each 3x4. Place them on top at the back of the 3x4 under each pillar. You'll have one at the front (A pillar), rear (C Pillar), One about 3/5th's of the way back (B Pillar) then use the remaining two piece to place between the A and B pillars and the B and C pillar. Just take some quick measurements after the rockers are cut out for placement of the 2x2's and weld them into place on your workbench. Take your time on it but it's not really a crucial part of the install where your 2x2's are.. If you're within an inch, you're good.

Place your 3x4 where you want it and I used a jack w/ 4x4 blocks to hold it in place. Climb under your rig and prop yourself up because you're going to be there for a while. 2 bags of your wifes potting soil and a large leather welding blanket are very comfortable. You're going to need to be comfortable because you're going to be there for a while! :)

When welding this thing, you'll have to turn the heat down on the welder because you'll blow through your pinch seam really easily. I also used a couple 6" C-clamps to really suck that seam and the 3x4 into each other. Focus your bead more on the 3x4 than the pinch seam and let it "spill" over onto the seam. it'll take some getting used to at first.

Repeat the same for the top of the 3x4 on your door sill. it really is a simple job but pretty time consuming. i used almost a full bottle of gas, 2 small spools of wire and it took about 8 hours of welding (taking my time to make sure it was done right and not sloppy). The time it took to build the actual rockers was about a 1/2 for each including cutting the angled sides, welding the endcaps and smoothing it out completely.

I'd guess that someone could knock this job out in about half the time I did but if you saw my rig, I'm sooo freakin' anal about half-ass work. i never ever cut corners so it takes me a little longer than most.

Hope that helps.. If I get a chance tonight, I'll try to post some pics of the back of the seam.

indeed. i've read this thread like 3x and am going to be doing this soon, as suggested in frankZ's build. my buddy has a 1.75 die for his bender, so i'm going to make a thing to stick out like frank did, but with the general idea of formatt's

For all that are doing this, please post pics!!!

Back