• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should I go for the full 6"?

Hdfullofrox

NAXJA Forum User
It was time for new tires for my stock 91, so Monday I made the jump to 30X9.5s. Well now I HAVE to have some LIFT!

I was going to settle for a budget job at 2.5" to 3"-- highly affordable and gets some clearance back into my wheel wells.

THEN, a friend told me her brother could do my lift for me, and HE thinks he can get me into 6" for just a little over what the 3" parts would cost me.

I EVENTUALLY want 33s, but when I say eventually, I mean in a couple more years as my offroading abilities improve and I also need to spread out the cost of mods. Do I REALLY want to go for the full 6" with the 30s? BTW, this is also my DD.

I wouldn't run more than 2" of lift with 30's.

A) Looks gay.

B) Highly non-functional.

C) Horrible as a daily driver.

Do a search on "short arms" or "long arms" and do some reading. You'll see other's experiences with short arm geometry at anything more than 3".

CRASH

You might need to trim to fit those 30s. Think about getting bushwackers. Theyll look real good with those 30s and 6" of lift!

To answer your question, No. Unless you want to have high COG with no support for the jeep underneath.

my opinion is to get a 4.5 lift of your choice.. rusty's RE skyjacker etc.. it would be cheaper in the long run on upgrading.. it's cheper to got to 6" from 4.5" than it is from 3"...did you forget the cost of SYE and drive shaft for the 6" lift? when i done my lift 4.5" i went ahead and installed the SYE and shaft.. plans on going bigger and I think running 30's on a 6" lift would look kinda silly... GOOD LUCK on whatever you decide... If you do the 30's on 6" i want to see some pics

i would go for it and do what i am doing right now, used 35's for off road ( rocks ) and a clean set of 31's for dd and i put 7.5"
IMHO get the lift and go with what you can afford for rubber, its your rig so who am i to say?
if it looks like those pics you might find the money to get the tires sooner too

Last edited:
It would probably look along the lines of something like this:

seemanoffroad001.jpg

with 30x9.50's do a BB.. you can get a spacer and either a shackle or add leaf cheap.. get the spacers used for $20-$30 off ebay or here, then look for something in the rear.. 6" is going to cost... there is more to it then what the guy is probalby telling you..

5.5" with 235/75's

4g41ug

yes - im getting some 33's soon...

I did the 6" lift and was running 33's for offroad and 30's for DD. It did look stupid as hell (plus I chopped my fenders). That was my reason to the wife to buy 33's. Then after about 2 months of swapping tires I left the 33's on and it took about a week before the wife quit nagging me about putting the 30's back on. I argued the fact of higher COG which she didnt understand anyways. And yes, it is alot more dangerous to run 30's with 6" lift on the road as a DD. Heck, get the 4.5 like stated above and run 31's. When you can afford the 33's chop your fenders. Remember your gonna need offset rims to fit 33's also. You wont be able to run them if there wider than the stock 8" tire. I'm running 12" wide w/more backspacing.

Get a small 2-3 in lift that way it wont look gay. Just make sure you get parts that are upgradeable so when you want your 6" you wont have to spend as much. If I were you I would get a 2" lift shackle and a 2" coil spacer.

Also there is WAY more parts included in a 6" compared to a 2" lift. So there is no way the price could be that close.

shayzj said:
should I go for the full 6"?

Well my wife took that route and she hardly ever smiles :)

Shay

are you trying to imply that you have a big penis?

XJ_ranger said:
are you trying to imply that you have a big penis?

I think he's implying the opposite actually.

Well thanks guys, for confirming my suspicions about that much lift with 30s.

I'm pretty set on starting with a simple 2 or 3 inches for now, so what's my best option for doing that? and CHEAP (I just found out I'm having the power steering fluid pump changed, ouch.)

Also, I have about an inch or so of sag in the rear, so I need to compensate for that as well when I do the lift.

If you are trying to clear the 30s then look in the for sale section. I have seen more spacers and shakels that would give you what you want cheap than I can count. I bet you could do it all, (spacers, shakels, shocks) for way less than $100 and save your money to do the 6 inch when you can aford it with tires, gears, and everything else needed to do it right. Good luck

Back