• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Question

Sephrion

NAXJA Forum User
ok im pretty damned sure that my radiator is shot as the coolant has turned a suspicious rust colour and appears to not be flowing.... so whats a good tried and true aftermarket replacement? its either that or i get a good ole NAPA replacement.

Just get an oem radiator, unless you've had overheating problems. Your first one lasted 11 years, after all. Radiators are relatively easy to replace, especially if you've got a manual transmission. Two radiator hoses, two trans. lines if it's an auto. Fan shroud and radiator mounting bolts are pretty obvious and easy. Good luck!

You could always upgrade while you have it out.
I went with a 3 row csf to cool my stroker.

Last edited:
Just replaced my whole cooling system last weekend. I got a CFS 3 core radiator for 179.99 shipped to my door. I used Auto Radiator Outlet (1-800-252-0333) but I did have a problem getting a "NON DAMAGED" shipment the first 2 times from them (filltube bent) until they packaged it better for shipment. Third radiator made it fine. Use to run at 210 to 215 and now it runs 195 to 200. Most of the original equipment 2 core radiators I priced were more expensive than the CFS that I got. Few radiator post here suggested the CFS and that why I wanted that radiator for my replacement.

I personally have had horrible luck with the OEM unit. I went through 2 in one year (they separated at the tank). I called Dirk at DPG and got a CSF 3 row for 160ish IIRC. Replacement was cake. I also have seen cooler temps by 10 degrees.
I don't know man...I hear a few people talk about their OEM rads. and how well they hold up. I just hear a lot more people talk about how they split at the seams. I don't believe the side tanks are actually made of plastic but some type of material that is like plastic and that's where both mine split (at the junction). My thought process was: I can pay 10 bones more for all metal. I went that route and have been very pleased. HTH.

-Chris

riverfever said:
I called Dirk at DPG and got a CSF 3 row for 160ish IIRC.
-Chris

x2 for calling Dirk @ DPG

Dirk @ DPGOffroad.com said:
NOW AVAILABLE- High Quality, Heavy Duty 3-row radiators from CSF!

Retail $206.00- Your Price $155.00!
You need one of these! We've made a volume purchase deal to bring you LOW PRICES on the new HD 3 row radiators from CSF for your Cherokee. We've tried many different radiators for our hot running XJ's. Some didn't cool that well, and others just didn't hold up. The CSF HD 3-row is the best cooling AND best quality of anything we've seen!

Daryl

hey man get a 3 core radiator you can get em on ebay pretty cheap. Just type in jeep radiator or some variation of that. the rust coloration...... make sure to run a water hose through the block try to flush some of that crap out.

1 800 RADIATOR.

they sell a GDI radiator, had one in my trail rig for the last 4 years, never had a problem with it.

$100 shipped to your door, three days.

dan

Modine 3-row - I get them locally thru a shop that used to be called "Radiatorland" (now "Autoland") for about a ton-fifty or so. Performance Radiator isn't bad either - and slightly cheaper (Made in Thailand, vice Canada, but the one I've got has been going well for about nine years now...)

The OEM radiators have a tendency to go after about 125-150K, and even the parts guys at my local dealership say to use an aftermarket unit, since it will then last pretty close to forever (if properly cared for.)

With all the rust, you'll want to do a mild acid flush of the system BEFORE you tear it apart! Blow all the crapola out of the block and heater core, THEN replace the radiator and hoses. It makes no sense to do it the other way around - since you then risk crapping up the radiator.

Besides, you may do the flush (which you should do about every other year) and find you don't need a radiator - just a cleaning and some new coolant - and maybe a thermostat and/or water pump. What makes you think you need a new radiator? (I'm not doubting you - just trying to save you some work.)

5-90

well nothing with the radiator other than the rust in the coolant, but id rather upgrade to a better cooling radiator while im working on the frontend of my heep.

Back