• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine cranks, won't start

Mommy of Lew

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Sport with almost 129,000 miles on it. I love my XJ, up to this point, the thing has been a gem. Friday when I got home from work it was running fine. It sat until Sunday morning when I went to take my daughter to the zoo and then it would not start. The engine cranks, but nothing happens. I also noticed that the gauges don't read like they normally do when the key is turned in the ignition. I was thinking it might be a clogged fuel filter, but would that affect the gauge readings? or, is it a computer problem? (of course, the two problems might not be related at all)

Any ideas? Suggestions? would be GREATLY appreciated!

One of the main culprits to sudden no start is the crank position sensor. From there it gets tougher and would need some more troubleshooting. Can you hear the fuel pump run for a bit when you first turn the key on? What are the gauges doing exactly? Was the check engine light on before this happened? Need to know if you're getting any spark as there are a few things that have to happen before the computer allows the ignition to kick on.
Good luck and get back with us.

With ignition on, check if the fan or horn works. If they don't, suspect ignition switch bad. Next, pull the coil wire out of the distributor, and have a helper hold the wire about 1/4inch from a ground(the engine block will do)with an insulated plyers. Crank engine and check for sparks. If you have sparks, put the coil wire back, and do the same thing with any spark plug wire. If you have sparks, it's probably a fuel delivery problem. When you turn the ignition on, do you hear the fuel pump wir about two seconds from the rear of the car and then turn off? If no wir sound, it's a fuel pump problem. If a wirring sound is heard, It could be a fuel problem but you'l need a fuel pressure gage to diagnose further. One more simple thing, but you need a volt meter. Have a helper check battery voltage while you crank the engine. If you have less than 9.5 volts, the battery is shot or discharged.

I have a 99 sport with 123,000+ and had the same conditions I went through the haines manuel and tested the sensor that is located on the bell housing of my trans. i believe it was called the top dead center sensor. I tested it according to the manuel and it was bad. its a real easy part to change. two bolts connect it to the housing and the other side connects up by your intake just behind the throttle body. but i paid about 86 bucks for that little sucker. hope this helps

LT1 is a mechanic at very creadible repair shop around here. Thats the only reason why I like him......LOL, just playn man. He also served in the Navy as a jet mechanic for 4 years. Props to LT1.

Brian

Last edited:
Back