• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I thought my last question was stupid>>>>

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
This is embarassing but I don't know the answer and have searched the forum. Still doing the 3" lift ready for rear shocks. Comes with a rubber boot. Wider at one end than the other. Top of shock has the "Tee" for mounting to the body/upper frame of the XJ. I can't get this #$%^%% rubber boot on to the shock. As I work it over the "Tee", the boot gets narrower it's like the "Tee" is going to tear through the boot. I thought about beating the "Tee" out of the shock and then beating it back in but that doesn't seem like the proper way to do it.
Someone please answer this stupid question. What is the correct way to put that boot on?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question. Had no problem with the front shocks.

PS. Looks like the boss moved my last post to the OEM section, sorry if this should be under OEM questions but now I don't know how to move it.

PRetty sure that T is a bar pin..

You are supposed to beat the barpin out of the shock eye before you put the boot on...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that is the way to do it..

Sorry posted in the middle of your answer I guess. O/k, seems like it is the only way to go but it sure seems like a backwards way of doing it. Seems like they would ship the shock with the bar pin out, but ??? Thanks for the help y'all, I might get this job done some day!

Yea, I'm calling it a "Tee" but it is a bar pin in a rubber eye.

Last edited:
yeah i don't like using boots either, tired of cleaning out mud and water

Boots, you dont need no stinkin boots. I had them on my shocks and steering stabilizer,hated them took off and threw them out

If you have bright pink ones I would run them. But keep in mind, the shocks have to be chromed for this to work. Otherwise the pink will not work well and you will have a shock that doesnt work right.

Like others have said, you dont need them, unless you have a Mall rated Jeep

I fit them over the bar pins but only after heating them up over a heater or using a hair dryer.

Thanks for all the input regarding the "Stinkin' Boots", since the fronts are on , they are going to stay there until my new wheels get here and then I'll cut them off. The rears now reside in the trash can!! :wave:

dear 4wp,

give me back the $16 you stole from me :mad:

small pederson said:
dear 4wp,

that is your fault for patronizing them...

XJ_ranger said:
that is your fault for patronizing them...

haha, this was before i knew better :laugh3:

This is probably the scariest/funniest thing I have heard on these boards. You can install a lift and install shocks, but can't get the boot on????? Wow!
Glad to hear you figured it out! Please post any furture install that you do. This is great!

azdesertrhino said:
Thanks for all the input regarding the "Stinkin' Boots", since the fronts are on , they are going to stay there until my new wheels get here and then I'll cut them off. The rears now reside in the trash can!! :wave:

Id cut the front ones off now if I where you the dust and crap that collects in the boots will scratch the chrome shaft and destroy the seal in the shock twice as fast.

miss april said:
This is probably the scariest/funniest thing I have heard on these boards. You can install a lift and install shocks, but can't get the boot on????? Wow!
Glad to hear you figured it out! Please post any furture install that you do. This is great!
Thanks for the helpfull info.
If he was as smart as you, he wouldn't have to post. Fortunately, there are plenty of NAXJA members ready to help people who need or want to ask questions.

Back