• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter motor goin out.. a ??

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Could I relatively easily get another unit and just swap it in and not screw up something, or should I just take it to a shop nearby and have them do it in an hour and suck my wallet dry some more?

It's an easy swap.... 2 bolts holding the starter in, 2 nuts holding the electrical connector on. Should take you all of about 15 minutes at most to swap....

The starter is cheaper some places than others. I found AZ to be the cheapest. The first one lasted 7 months and about 8,000 miles. The second one lasted about double that. Lifetime warrenty, if you don't mind the hassle. I guess you get what you pay for.

BTW, make sure you disconnect the battery before you take the starter out.

It is an easy job, but if its your first time dont expect it to take 15 min, my first time took me 3 hours! Give yourself a weekend with a buddy that has a car so if you grab the wrong starter you will have a ride to the auto parts store for a new one. (I grabed the wrong type and had to bum a ride off a friend)
Things to remember:
-Disconnect battery
-REMEMBER which way the wires go!
-dont loose the bots (I had 3 bots, somehow lost one of them, dont ask)

And it really shouldent take 3 hours. For me, everything that could go wrong, went wrong, so it took me 3 hours. :D

Alright.. So I just rang up autozone and pretty much got the 75 buck one (lifetime) so.. just drop out and bolt in? well I guess i'll have to look closely to it or try and find my haynes to see if it is any help.

before you buy a new one, check your cables at the starter. loosen them. scrub em with a brush and reattach if this does not fix your problem then look for a new starter. But, i'll warn you AZ starter is low quality. just like earlier post states. "if you don't mind the hassle" i'd make sure yours is broken before replacing. I'm a fan of factory products also, junkyard or ebay for 20-25 bucks is probably just as good as an AZ starter. "all cars run on used parts"
make sure you disconnect the battery before you do it all!!

Yeah, definately check the wires on the starter. My 88 & my 90 are good for shaking them loose, getting some oil/crud mixture on the terminal, and then not wanting to work right. When you tighten the connection, make darn sure not to over tighten the nut. Did that, had to fix that.

fergmonster said:
junkyard or ebay for 20-25 bucks is probably just as good as an AZ starter. "all cars run on used parts" QUOTE]

Don't know if it's nationwide or not, but either Advance Auto or AutoZone (can't remember which one) has begun advertizing "salvage" parts for sale in their stores down here in VA......
To each their own, I suppose.
Jeff

Yea i'll be disconnectin the battery.. dont wanna have smokin hair among other things.. I considered that (checking he terminals, which I will).. I should have said that last week i went to start but it wouldnt start, I had power, etc.. so I hit the starter with a rubber mallet and presto, started. so maybe it has junk inside. and now it's going like RR.... RRRR... RR.. before it starts.. never did that until a few days before it siezed and didnt think much of it.

Sounds like the armeture is on the way out, if not totally dead. Time to change it.

Hiaboo said:
Yea i'll be disconnectin the battery.. dont wanna have smokin hair among other things.. I considered that (checking he terminals, which I will).. I should have said that last week i went to start but it wouldnt start, I had power, etc.. so I hit the starter with a rubber mallet and presto, started. so maybe it has junk inside. and now it's going like RR.... RRRR... RR.. before it starts.. never did that until a few days before it siezed and didnt think much of it.

Exactly what mine was doing. I swapped in a used one and now it starts in 2-3 revolutions. If it's warm, it starts in 1-2 revs.

Keith

Back