• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Fast!

Dragon_Fly

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I know I should have done a search... but I just got out fo class and this is what happened.

I am just getting home from school.. a guy that is parting out an 1994 Grand Cherokee with an I-6 and automatic was selling me the front springs and lower controll arms as well as the roof rack for 30 bucks... I drive buy to see if the jeep has been pulled into his shop as he wants front and rear axles.... well today I notice the jeep gone... I go into the shop and talk with the guy... first words out of his mouth are "Do you want a Free Jeep!"
Hmmm... "YES!" Only problem is I need to have it out of his shops yard today. He has all paperwork... missing all doors and grill but still has the axles, shifter knobs, hood, fenders and some interior and exterior stuff.... engine spun bearings... so tub is perfect.... rims are nice and good rubber too....... Will the front and rear axle fit underneath my 88 XJ? I dont have time to measure them yet and it looks like that front axle will just bolt right in and the rear would need some perches.. I gotta get this rig out now... so must make some arrangements and then have it stripped out within the nest day or two.... so I am extremely pressed for time... please advise one what you think.... I did think about just taking all the brake stuff off, keeping the wheels, and any other small stuff that would work on my XJ rather then trying to store it some place... I live in the University dorms... no house or garage....

thanks
dave

The front will bolt up and the rear will need peches.

The bigger question is why do you want the axles? The front is the same as what you have no except for the fact it has the crappy CV joints in the shafts.
The rear is either the D35...which is the same as you have now or the Aluminum 44 which isn't any better then the 35 except for the fact that it has disk brakes.

unless you want the rest of the stuff....the axles are not worth it.

DrMoab said:
The bigger question is why do you want the axles? The front is the same as what you have no except for the fact it has the crappy CV joints in the shafts.
The rear is either the D35...which is the same as you have now or the Aluminum 44 which isn't any better then the 35 except for the fact that it has disk brakes.

unless you want the rest of the stuff....the axles are not worth it.

Aren't all grandies LPD30s???

If its a V-8 the tierod is better thatn yours and the brakes may be better. Depending on if you both have a D35 you could maybe score rear disks out of it??

PS. I have seen rear disks on a d35 ZJ factory

If you have a place to put it, otherwise pass on it, it will be more problems than it's worth.

DUDES! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Sorry that was just dumped on you guys... I had to act fast on this deal. Only had a 90 minute window to find a place to put it... find a tow dolly, drive across town and pick it up before they closed and had a crusher come and pick it up... Well I accomplished all of this in that time. I made a deal with a buddy of mine... he allowed me to barrow his tow dolly and store it in his mini-salavage yard, as well as allow me to pull my parts and leave it there. He gets the front and rear axles but I get the rear disc brakes and the other stuff I wanted including the wheels. Not bad for being free. I original had a deal with the owner to buy the front coils and some other stuff.. but all it cost me was some gas and a little stress.

When I asked about the axles.. I thought about swapping them out because these have about 60,000 less miles on them then the ones under my XJ. I also didnt know if the front disc brakes and calipers were upgraded. The jeep has an inline six cylinder. Here are the items I am looking at using now.

1) Front coils
2) Lower Control Arms? (I have that set of Rancho long arms still)
3) door weather stripping to upgrade mine and better seal.
4) shifter knobs to upgrade mine.
5) Rear disc brakes and calipers to upgrade my D35.
6) Wheels

Maybe some other stuff to make life better in the XJ but not sure what to pull next. I will be doing that lizard budget lift very soon now. And now I have less money invested so that makes it even a better budget lift.

Thanks for all input....
dave

You know I just realized the radiator for that grand cherokee is there too... Ive got the old closed cooling system..... this might be a nice upgrade as well.... wow..... my birthday was just a few days ago.... im going to consider this part of that........ :laugh3:

Back